Options

New Boat Cover Fit

NRathNRath Member Posts: 135 ✭✭
I just picked up a set of new mooring covers.  I'm saying they are factory covers, though they're made by Ameritex.  Opened the box... ohh, very nice!  I'm wondering if I incorrectly assumed they'd match right up, without issue.  A couple bow snaps are slightly off but can be convinced to snap with a lot of pulling (like 1/2 snap size off).  The bigger problem is that 6 of them are off by more than an inch or more- so no way.  The biggest problem is that the 2 twist pins (for lack of a better name) are about 1-1/2 inches off.  This is the biggest problem as they are a pretty good sized hole in the fabric to be considering moving, or 2 screw holes each in the hull.  They left out about 1/2 the snaps on the rear of the cockpit cover, which seems ideal at this point, so I'm not really complaining about that.  I don't have a snap punch tool, but never mind getting a new tool.  However, I'm not really liking either option of moving snaps and leaving broken threads to grow holes, or with moving snap bases and having to deal with holes in the hull.
I was going to be impressed if they managed to make them line-up.  But, they make em everyday and should have templates for both sides of the snaps.

I'm just looking for others experiences and perspectives to decide how I'm going to deal with it.  TIA

Comments

• Options
    ChesapeakeChillerChesapeakeChiller Member Posts: 98 ✭✭
    If the snaps/twist pins are on your windshield you can often loosen them and slide them in the windshield track to align (I am not certain on your boat). I have never heard of getting a cover with the snaps already installed, my last boat I could order factory covers (Sea Ray) but not with snaps, so I just got the cover from local company and they went down and fitted it to my existing snaps.

2004 Cruisers Yachts 320 W/6.2L I/B's

Boat Name- Anchor Management, Mayo MD

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree- can't imagine they would have a template for that but it would be a good idea. Have had the front half of my camper enclosure done and I swear he moved some as the mooring cover does not line up but I need a new one anyway..
  • Options
    NRathNRath Member Posts: 135 ✭✭
    The snap twists are screwed to the hull, 2 of them- 2 screw each.  Funny part about windshield sections and adjusting- the snaps are in the very corner of the cover, which is where the vertical aluminum comes down on the glass center section that flips open.  The horizontal section of window aluminum has the groove for snaps, the vertical section does not.  So, there's no way to put the corner snap bases right in the "corner".  If they had been shifted an inch away from the corner in the cover, I could move the base over to them.  Yeah, that probably makes no sense to you guys.
  • Options
    Sounds like you will have to install some snaps in your cover so they line up, you may want to remove/patch the misplaced ones if you think they will scratch your boat. You can get a snap tool or maybe have a local upholstery or canvas shop do it. I cant think of any other options unless the cover is secure enough as is.

• Options
    edited March 2016

if they are close, I have seen "snap extenders" like these http://www.boatersplus.com/sj-products-560261.html?gclid=CKXsi4WWwMsCFUc2gQod1bgBoQ

But that wont solve the twist pins