Options

How to find hours on 2000 Captiva 272 BR

3dmike3dmike Member Posts: 2
Does anyone know if there is an hours gauge or some other way to find out about how many hours are on my 272?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Well there could be an hour meter on the engine itself.  Or there can be one in the dash, sometimes in the tach, sometimes by itself.  I don't know if a 2000 will have a computer that keeps track of that like the smartcraft (2002 and newer merc).  If there is a computer and it keeps that info a mechanic should be able to extract that.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    my boat does not have one either. I contacted the local dealer, they said I could bring it in and they had the soft ware to find out. Then you can put one on, it hooks up to the spark plug. $79.00 to get hours, $35 for hour meter
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it is a Thunderbolt V or newer, a good code reader should be able to get the hours off the engine. @Alswagg would be able to give you the best answer as to which ignitions can give you hour readings with the reader.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    You can buy one of those tools for a couple hundred bucks, so if you want to do it yourself and then have a tool?  A dock neighbor of mine has one and it can come in handy.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    3dmike3dmike Member Posts: 2
    Thanks! I appreciate it. I'll see what I can find.
  • Options
    qwikwhipqwikwhip Member Posts: 63 ✭✭
    I have the Rinda scan tool. Like others have said any MPI and thunderbolts with an ecu store hours. It's a pretty handy tool for any newer MPI boat as they can read all kinds of info as well as trouble codes. I've helped out many a dock neighbors with it. lol
    2005 Captiva 232 Liberty Edition, MX6.2/B3, Corsa