Options

Snubber

chamberbchamberb Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭

First time mooring question. I have a 260 EC that I will be keeping in a slip for the first time. The marina requires snubbers, which I have never used. Online research shows I should be using 7/16" snubbers, I just thought I would check with the folks here on the forum for any recommendations on brand/type/size.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you ask the marina what they'd use for your boat? They've seen them on all kinds of boats if it's a rule. Heck they may even sell them.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    I read a west marine tutorial on those the other day.  Why would your Marina require them?  Less load on dock cleats? 
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    I read a west marine tutorial on those the other day.  Why would your Marina require them?  Less load on dock cleats? 

That's the reasoning I guess, to protect their equipment...
  • Options
    MarkB said:
    Did you ask the marina what they'd use for your boat? They've seen them on all kinds of boats if it's a rule. Heck they may even sell them.

Thanks Mark, I will reach out to them. I was just reading their Lease agreement and it requires them, I have never had a boat this size or a slip before , so it is all new to me. I searched this forum for snubber information before I made this post, it looks like I should put one on my anchor line too, to protect my windlass?

• Options
    ChesapeakeChillerChesapeakeChiller Member Posts: 98 ✭✭
    Definitely talk to your marina before purchasing, I would go down and look at what others are using and where they get them as well. Sometimes these lease agreements have many things written in them that the Marina no longer requires so worth finding out before purchasing.

2004 Cruisers Yachts 320 W/6.2L I/B's

Boat Name- Anchor Management, Mayo MD

• Options
    FYI Lease paperwork says for boats over 25 feet to use 5/8" line "if boat's cleats will accommodate it".
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    I would use a prusik knot on the anchor line.  I do it routinely since I learned about it on this forum a year or two ago.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Not a bad idea to use snubbers  anyways....it takes the jolt out when the conditions are rough.
    Unless you have an all chain anchor rode (which in itself would act like a snubber) a prusik knot is the way to go, putting on a snubber with a rope rode would be a major PITA
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options

Youtube search for "prusik knot" is underway... :~)

Thanks Dream-Inn and DD2!

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have always used snubbers on my lines. The best reasonably priced shock absorbers one can purchase. Saves cracked gel coat around cleats from snap type shock stresses and anyone on the boat too with a drink in their hand LOL
  • Options
    Michael T said:
    I have always used snubbers on my lines. The best reasonably priced shock absorbers one can purchase. Saves cracked gel coat around cleats from snap type shock stresses and anyone on the boat too with a drink in their hand LOL

Thanks MT!!... I was starting to worry about you, I posted that hours ago :~)
  • Options
  • Options
    Mike_GMike_G Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2016

Never even heard of a "snubber" until now.  Yet another cool thing to buy this year. 

I just looked up the "Prusik knot" and can't figure out what you would do with that in relation to an anchor.  ??? 

-=Mike G.

2014 Rinker 260EC

• Options
    LOL... I wasn't sure it was a real thing either... :) 
    They do look a good idea for your cleats though!!
  • Options

In short: the prusik knot can be made by wrapping a length of mooring line around your anchor rode so that when pulled against by the rode it tightens but when pulled by you it releases.

You use the two ends of the mooring line to tie -off on your forward bow cleats then back your rode thereby taking the load off your windlass but more important your SS pulpit thereby preventing it from being bent. Simple to do.

• Options
    Michael T said:

In short: the prusik knot can be made by wrapping a length of mooring line around your anchor rode so that when pulled against by the rode it tightens but when pulled by you it releases.

You use the two ends of the mooring line to tie -off on your forward bow cleats then back your rode thereby taking the load off your windlass but more important your SS pulpit thereby preventing it from being bent. Simple to do.

So leave both ends of the mooring line free, so each end can be tied to a separate cleat?  **** winter.... I wish it was time to unwrap the boat so I could try this out, I do better when I can see it and try it...
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    @chamberb,  100%. BTW, I have snubbers in three diameters for different loading situations. I put the mooring line through one end,  wrap it three times around the snubbed and thread it out through the hole in the opposite end then tie off an end to the dock cleat and your boat cleat. They provide very significant shock protection..  Remember that the bigger the snubbed the bigger the application. IMO don't get a beast snubbed for a 180 bow rider.. But for my EC, 360 "loaded up"  they make a huge difference,  particularly when some moron comes into the marina late at night at 1500 RPM - your Admiral won't tossed onto the floor!   :-) 
    Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options
    @Michael T Nothing good comes from your Admiral on the floor!! Thanks so much, whether they still require them or not, I will be getting a couple for my 260. Thanks!!
  • Options
    If I can find a couple of pictures I will. I got them at West marine. IMO you want a quality ones that last many, many years as they are UVA/UVB stabilized and strong enough to sustain many "jerks".
  • Options
    Michael T said:
    If I can find a couple of pictures I will. I got them at West marine. IMO you want a quality ones that last many, many years as they are UVA/UVB stabilized and strong enough to sustain many "jerks".
    Thanks!  They don't seem to be too bad, I see quite a few out there for just a little over $100 a pair. And they only need to outlast this one jerk :wink: 
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016

Prusik is a line to line self tightening not...  I used them for years as ascendor knots.  

For 'shock' protection of a line, daisy chain it.  Make an overhand loop about three inches using 5/8 line, and pull another loop through it without pulling the running end through.. do this at least six times for what ends up looking like a chain of sorts.  Once you've got enough 'spring' for the task, pull your last loop through but this time pull the running end all the way through, and make it an overhand knot... Boom.. a line that springs.  
  • Options
    @212rowboat   Ingenious!! I  am kind of a nut about knots, I can't wait to try that.