Options

Anchoring/Prusik Knot

06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
Few questions about anchoring:

I have set anchor,slowly going in reverse and I have paid out my desired amount of rhode.  I go to neutral, turn off the windless, and the momentum of the boat yanks on the anchor and I hear a loud grind, the sound of line being pulled out with the windless off.  How do I avoid this?

Saw a few post about a prusik knot.  I get how to make it and I believe once you have tied the knot to your anchor rhode you take one end and tie to port and one to starboard cleat.  My question is once you paid out the chain and the line starts coming out, at what point do I tie the knot?  How large of rope do you use for the knot?

I have taped off my rhode ever 15 feet so I can see how much line is being paid out.  What do you do?  How many feet?  

The Prusik knot helps with the swaying?   Admiral gets a little sea sick on windy days, need to help cure this.  One of the main reasons I went to an express cruiser from my sedan bridge.

Thanks everyone.
Patrick
06 Rinker 270

Comments

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is your windlass wing nut tight??  You should be able to see something that you can tighten to avoid too mutch slippage. But note the clutch also protects the windlass motor from over torque. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

On my two Rinkers my windlass never has made noise once the anchor grabs.  I have been known to back down hard in certain areas to get a good bite.  Any my 40lb Manson bites hard...  Hopefully I'm wrong but the noise comment doesn't sound right to me..

Tying off from the bow port and starboard cleats will definitely help with limiting the boats rotation while on anchor.  I typically do this only if I'm under anchor for multiple days as its a pain to setup, and I don't like futzing with additional lines if my anchor does let loose.  If I'm on a mooring I'll do this more frequently as you tend to rotate even more than while under anchor.  I have an admiral that gets a bit seasick sometimes too.  I thought she was going to divorce me when I took her out in 5-6 footers that were 3 seconds apart.

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod

Ok, I agree that the noise should not be there and it definitely should not be slipping.  I also believe it can be fixed once you figure out what you need to tighten (I also back down **** the anchor with no issues).

Second, the prusik knot is great and very very simple to put out once you do it a few times and have a routine.  I have one 15ft line (I believe 3/4" - you should use one that is similar size to your rhode size) that has a predone loop on one end.  So I have marked what is just off center (favor more line to the side without the loop cause it will need to wrap around the cleat thus using more line than the loop side).  Once you have the correct amount of rhode out, scoot out far enough to grab the rhode on the outside of your bow roller and loop it twice tying your prusik.  Then attach each end on the cleat and let our more rhode until only the prusik line is holding.  I am usually the main anchor out in a raft-up, so I do this first and then still have enough room on the same cleats to tie other boats on as well. 

It makes a huge difference on those windy days when the boat just wants to swing!!  Again, if you do it often, you can get the prusik knot on in less than 60 seconds and you will get used to doing it all the time.  Another good thing is it releases pressure off your windlass.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Just curious do you guys have a cleat in the windlass/anchor locker?  There is one right next to my windlass that I typically use. It's dead center so it minimizes the swinging and of course takes all of the stress off the windlass. My 270 I don't believe had this but the 360 does.  This obviously doesn't fix the issue of your anchor line rubbing against your pulpit. However I typically use a line guard to minimize the chafing. 
  • Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a cleat in the windlass locker of my FV270
  • Options
    I do have one in that compartment craig, but for me, the problem is with all the mass of the boat, I've actually had it bend my current pulpit.  So this completely eliminates the stress not only on the windlass, but the pulpit as well.  With 2 tie points, it is amazing how much smoother it can be anchoring out on a rough day.

• Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    I need to find a video explaining this to me haha. I am having a terrible time visualizing this lol
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for the feedback.  That noise has me a bit curious now.  I will try tightening the nut like Mark mentioned and see what that does.  

Way Dream explained it I think I got it.  If anyone has a picture of them doing it that would secure it in my head.  Let out rhode to desired length.  Reach out and tie knot.  Attached looped end to starboard and other to port cleat.  Let out anchor a bit farther until load is on the cleats and not the windless.  

I have a cleat in the locker of my 270.
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    yep, you got it Patrick (& it sounds better than I said it).  The worst part is reaching out and putting the knot in the rhode that may already be pulled taunt.  & of course, retrieving it is just the opposite.

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can practice it with your Admiral, tie a rope between two objects, like two door knobs then each of you take the line and practice wrapping it and making it seize than free up. Makes it far easier to do alter on the water!
  • Options
    Man I do love this forum, thanks everyone.

I have taped off my rhode ever 15 feet so I can see how much line is being paid out.  What do you do?  How many feet?  
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    I have the plastic rode markers that West Marine sells.  They are every 30 feet.  I should probably put another marker between them.  
  • Options

I mark every 30 feet as well.  Not sure if you were also asking about amount of line out 06R270, but typically I try to do 7 to 1 if in an uncrowded anchorage.

• Options
    I'm gonna try this next time out.  What I'm thinking is:

First, set the hook and tie the rode to the windlass cleat.  Then pull up some slack by hand out of the chain locker, and set up the Prusik.  Then untie from the cleat.
  • Options
    Only problem with that is your prusik knot would have to run thru the pulpit (& possibly windlass?).  & if it fits thru there, only after that can you tie to the outside cleats.  It may work, but not sure. 

• Options
    Oh yeah, I guess I'd have to pull the line out through the bow pulpit before tying.
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wrap the line around my rode with about 8 feet of slack on each end of the line UNDER the pulpit. I tie off both ends of the line to the bow cleats and release the rode. As soon as it tightens the PK holds fast and the load is on the cleats. I have seen guys with a snubber on each of the two lines - I guess it is to dampen any waves from sea doos so the margaritas don't spill as I wouldn't want to be riding the hook on a day/night when you needed snubbers on your PK - I'd be at home!