OEM Generator Strainer Replacement

Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

A while back I posted a review of how I replaced the "dainty" OEM strainer housing and strainer bowl with a Forespar T-150 that is favored by Mastercraft Boats. I mentioned that the SS strainer that arrived with the kit might have mesh whose holes were a little too big (no jokes here you guys!) so I ordered a finer mesh strainers. While at it I ordered an extra bowl and gaskets. Forespar's website is a breeze to navigate and their order desk, if required, is super. The parts arrived today in New York and I went over to pick them up. Here is what the finer mesh strainers look like. I am really impressed by their construction. IMO a very good up-grade from the OEM strainer.

Comments

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hmmm...I don't think my geeny has a strainer on it.....will have to look!
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ras, that WOULD surprise me as my gen strainer prevents a LOT of weeds from entering the water supply lines. 
  • TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    I have never seen as many weeds in the water as in the fresh waters of Ontario.  They are everywhere in many areas.  We cleaned all of the strainers very often while we were there.

Ras, your boat must have a strainer on the generator cooling water line somewhere.  Ours is just above the thru hull fitting at the bottom of the bilge where this line enters the boat.

Just another idea that might work for some, especially those with 342s or other boats that have parallel stringers, one on either side of the centerline.  A cheap Wal-Mart type step stool fits nicely between the stringers and makes a dandy place to stand while looking things over in the ER.  It stays in there full time.

Tony
    Salt Shaker 342
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, Tony - lots of weeds but no barnacles!