Keeping the bottom of boat clean in fresh water

Does anybody know of a way of putting something on the bottom of hull without bottom painting 
I am in fresh water,but comes out with alot of agile. I don't like using the acid as it is nasty to use
Thanks for your time

Comments

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never had any luck with waxing the bottom in fresh water, but I do have an alternative to the acid bath. Mix a large bottle of blue Lysol toilet bowel cleaner with a large bottle of peroxide. Spray on, then wash off. Works like a charm.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    @Cableguy Greg that does take off any protectants you might have?. @JohnCostelllo I usually scrub my hull/outdrive once a week or once every 2 weeks with a brush. I have a scuba certification so it makes it easy to do when in the water lol. If you keep up on it it helps greatly. 

Also - I found a product last year called SlimyGrimy that you mix with water and spray it on. Its expensive at $22 a quart but it works like magic. 
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • F1100F1100 Member Posts: 292 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Just paint it, and be done with it... my boat sits 6 months in the water and with hull paint comes out with no scum on the hull at all..

paint on fall after 1 season in fresh water....

1993 300 FIESTA VEE TWIN 5.7L ALPHA GEN 2

• ChesapeakeChillerChesapeakeChiller Member Posts: 98 ✭✭
    I have never seen a wooden boat stand before, that would scare me a bit.

2004 Cruisers Yachts 320 W/6.2L I/B's

Boat Name- Anchor Management, Mayo MD

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    watch the toilet stuff...I used it two years ago and while it worked, it still has a blue tint to it!
  • GreggGregg Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
    All the boats,in covered slips in our marina,are all blocked with wood up to 40ft
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How did they get the boat up on the wood like that?
    2008 330EC
  • GreggGregg Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
    They strap it just like the electic one, and host it off the rafters with old school block and tackle by hand.
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paint. There's no other magic formula. I use micron csc and it works awsome. No growth. Period. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

rasbury said:
    watch the toilet stuff...I used it two years ago and while it worked, it still has a blue tint to it!
    Sorry to hear that... I never had a leftover blue tint. The blue and the scum came right off with minimal scrubbing.
    Go Steelers!!!
    all the boats even the big ones are put up like that, right in our covered slips
  • chamberbchamberb Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    Captain John's Boat Brite Algae and Waterline remover... Spray on and rinse off. I swear by it. 
    jme097 said:
    @Cableguy Greg that does take off any protectants you might have?. @JohnCostelllo I usually scrub my hull/outdrive once a week or once every 2 weeks with a brush. I have a scuba certification so it makes it easy to do when in the water lol. If you keep up on it it helps greatly. 

Also - I found a product last year called SlimyGrimy that you mix with water and spray it on. Its expensive at $22 a quart but it works like magic. 
    It more than likely takes off the wax that you would have on the bottom of the boat. I used it to clean my boat this year, but I didn't need much since the boat is bottom painted.

SlimyGrimy was invented by the owner of Grimes Furniture store in the Pittsburgh suburb of McKees Rocks. The owner was a boater and needed something to remove the scum that built up on the bottom of his boat. I used it for years until the Boater's World chain closed during the recession. The local West Marine doesn't carry it.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    slimygrimy.com     

The granular product is around 35 bucks and makes 3 gallons, enough to last a long time.
  • jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Thats what I use. Works like a charm

Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • JohnCostellloJohnCostelllo Member Posts: 68
    Thanks    It is wort a try    Spraying with a bug sprayer looks like the way to go