Electric receptacle

hey guys I have a 1999 330 and my receptacle down below appears to be a ground fault interrupter that has gone bad. I need to replace it, can I just go to Home Depot and use a regular residential replacement or do they make special marine ones?
thanks in advance....
mike
philly fanatic too...

Comments

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remove the outlet and take it with you to the store.  The key is to make sure the wire attachments are the same on the new outlet.  Boat wiring is stranded rather than solid, and the wires probably have crimp-on terminals that screw to the outlet.  You need the same type of screw attachments.
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    If they offer an outdoor version you might want to look at those as well since boats tend to be damp.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• blutobluto Member Posts: 25 ✭✭

a) there is no special marine GFI.

b) The screw terminals on GFI's typically have a "plate" under which you insert the stripped wire and then tighten the screw. This method is fine for both stranded or solid wire. Do not wrap the wire around the screw, use the plate described above, it makes a better connection.

c) LaRea is correct, marine wire is stranded tinned copper.

d) If your boat has the crimp-on terminals, if the terminal is in good condition and is well crimped ( I've seen some really poor crimped connections-- you could pull the wire out), the terminal can go under the plate or under the screw- whichever works.

e) Buy a name-brand GFI, the cheap ones have a high failure rate. This applies to your home as well. 

• andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    Correct info here on marine electrical wire being stranded - for a reason. Household wire is solid and would likely break over time from the vibration inherent to marine use.
    Andy
  • mskpharmdmskpharmd Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
    Thanks for all the great comments and considerations. You guys are the best!
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
  • 06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    I was looking for the same thing last year and rinker told me the part number was 2220259 is the black GFI.  

What are the receptacles hanging from the bottom in that ebay photo?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @06Rinker270 they are the molex quick connect plugs that Rinker uses on the boat. If you are just replacing the outlet, there are spade connectors inside the box that will screw on to the new outlet.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
    ah gotcha, so you can just go to home depot and buy a normal outlet.  
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I went to an electrical store to make sure I got the black color for the cabin and a white for the cockpit and had a bit more quality choice but HD would be fine.

I really want to get the one from Rinker but its $44 which isnt much but way more than the ones at HD.  
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
    HD will be fine!
    Lowes or HD should have it. If you want black, you might have to go to an electrical supply store or Amazon. I replaced two of my non-GFI outlets with ones from Cooper that have built in 2.1 amp USB charging ports. I had done it at home, so I figured I might as well do it on the boat. It is nice when connected to shore power not having to worry about a transformer.
    Go Steelers!!!
    What benefits does the USB have?

Sorry @mskpharmd hope I am not hijacking your thread too much.  Let us know if you solved your problem. 
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
    You can charge your devices without using a transformer.

I have put them in key locations in my house as well so I don't tie up plugs with charging transformers. Amazon sells them in black. They are made by Cooper.
    Go Steelers!!!
    My house has the usb outlets but wasn't sure what the advantage was.  Might have to look into those for the boat.
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    I may be mistaken, but the outlet with USB ports does not appear to be GFCI. Do you HAVE to have GFCI outlets in the boat. Can you have one GFCI and install USB outlets down line from the GFCI on the same circuit?
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The GFI has a Line side, which is the input from the breaker panel and a Load side, which is the rest of the outlets. If there are 2 or 3 circuits on the bigger boats, there will be multiple GFI's. I installed the above USB outlet in a location that was just a regular outlet location that was on the Load side of the GFI.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • mskpharmdmskpharmd Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
    No problem, all really good input and comments, glad I started it. I didn't think about using one with a usb port but that's what I'm gonna upgrade to! Thanks again guys!
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beware some of those USB ports. Often not FCC compliant and will interfere with your marine radio. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
    Is there any harm in being plugged into shore power while the GFI is gone?  I am hoping to take the outlet to the store after its out but want to stay on shore power for the week.  Going to try and do a same day swap but store by the boat is on the small side.  Power will be off while working on panel...DC & AC.
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see any harm, especially if you switch off your receptacle breaker.  The point is to isolate that circuit so it's not hot, which you should do if you plan on removing the GFI receptacle.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

Complete agreement with Mark B. If you remove a GFI and any part of the circuit (obviously before the GFI) is still live you probably will not have insurance or liability coverage. having constructed houses for 40 years I have a pretty solid idea of electrical regulations. So switch that breaker off for that line, remove the receptacle and tape the breaker in the off position.
    Good advice thanks guys.  Going to unplug the shore power and the batteries just for piece of mind.  Make sure outoet breaker is off.
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
    if you have a Mercathode system and other parasitic loads be careful that your batteries can not run down so low as to deprive the bilge pumps of power! I am sure you'd be fine leaving the SP on as long as you tape the breaker for the circuit in the off position and maybe for others leave a sticky note there to leave it off. IMO that would be fine.
  • gslprogslpro Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    If you find GFI plugs with different wire locations, which I believe you will be able to wire in any of them in spite of minor differences, just buy one of each.  At the boat, pull GFI out, match with new plug, replace, and then return the unused one(s).  Save running back and forth looking for the 'right' one.  And, if this is the GFI located on the bottom of your electrical panel, like mine, disconnect the shore power.  You are moving a lot of panel there, and you wouldn't want to touch the wrong thing.  Shutting off the breaker wouldn't help you in that instance if you grab up line of it.  If the GFI is separate from the panel, than it would be fine.  
    Gary and Diane
    290 FV Nauti Bonnie
    MT I plan on hooking everything back up while I am at the store.  Wont leave the boat without power for the bilge pumps.  Why I was making sure if I reconnect with no GFI I wont cause any harm.

gslpro good advice about buying multiple.  And yes I will be disconnecting shore power and also have an AC tester just to double check.  

Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • cassiolacassiola Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    Have a 05 270, think my GFI has gone bad. How do you remove the plug from the breaker panel? Do you have to pull the whole breaker panel off then remove the front plate?
    I tried just unscrewing the GFI plug and twisting it out of the hole but there doesn't seem enough space for that...