Options

Guess it was time to change the hoses

BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
 I looked over the hoses for the head and the A/C, and thought after 10 yrs they were getting a little hard/brittle, so thought I would swap them out. Good thing......after getting them out, they were getting quite cracked! Better not to mess around with stuff below water level I guess.......and if anyone wonders, A/C unit it a BEAR to get out to change hoses. A/C ones not cracked but hard as a rock.A
2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just replaced the a/c hose from the strainer to thru hull for that reason. Will be replacing the hose from the thru hull to strainer to gen too for the same reason. 

Both have severe bends in them, bad set up. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016

@BMXZ and @BD - Agreed and speaking of crazy bends. The exhaust water hose from my generator to the muffler/water evacuator used to be bent with such force that I thought it would crack the fitting on the generator and/or the evacuation unit.

I consulted Rinker and they agreed. God bless them they sent me a 90 degree elbow that I had the technicians install.

I am a firm believer not to underestimate the stress placed on hose and the trouble that can cause.

Also a firm believer in double clamping whenever possible.

Picture attached.

BTW you may notice the hard plastic pvc protective cover I put on the underside of the upper hose. It was resting on a battery terminal....yeah!

• Options
    Wow that would have been a tight bend.
  • Options
    Just replaced the a/c hose from the strainer to thru hull for that reason. Will be replacing the hose from the thru hull to strainer to gen too for the same reason. 

Both have severe bends in them, bad set up. 

Yes i'm going to try and get some bronze 90s , as I changing seacocks at same time
  • Options
    chamberbchamberb Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    Michael T said:

@BMXZ and @BD - Agreed and speaking of crazy bends. The exhaust water hose from my generator to the muffler/water evacuator used to be bent with such force that I thought it would crack the fitting on the generator and/or the evacuation unit.

I consulted Rinker and they agreed. God bless them they sent me a 90 degree elbow that I had the technicians install.

I am a firm believer not to underestimate the stress placed on hose and the trouble that can cause.

Also a firm believer in double clamping whenever possible.

Picture attached.

BTW you may notice the hard plastic pvc protective cover I put on the underside of the upper hose. It was resting on a battery terminal....yeah!

Double clamping.... what a simple and cheap insurance policy, I had never thought of it but will be adding a few clamps to mine once the shrink wrap comes off.

Great tip!

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can use bronze or nylon on those supply lines. 
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marelon is better than nylon/pvc. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭
    This reminds me to replace the serpentine belt too.

Too much stuff to look after........I guess.
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options

Yep always something