Options

Got TV mounted.

BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
Not where most mount them, but this works best for us. Comes off quickly if I need to get at locker. Sure is nice to have the cabinet open for storage now.   Fits great there, and hid wiring, along mid shelf, then up and over and inside cabinet. Don't need DVD,  will just use thumb drive. Got a short USB extension cable, so can tuck drive down in shelf so easy to get at. And yes I see the head reflection in it now, lol, its not mounted there, I replaced the old one with the normal size instead of compact.
2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi

Comments

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful, now if you find a nice articulating arm, say by RAM, it could swing out and over the berth to watch while lying down ....just kidding. Looks great!
  • Options

Actually probably weird, but we sleep"backwards" with our heads to the stern....have tried it both ways , and find it too tight with out heads to the bow. Too close together for us! lol  So this will be perfect for watching in bed.

• Options
    ....so there WAS a plan for that too.....nice - double win!
  • Options
    BTW I had a friend who slept the same way as you and the Admiral. On his boat he found their heads were down hill a bit towards the stern which they didn't like so he got a piece of 1/2" plywood which he kept under the mattresses which ran back about 3 feet and a 2x4 which he used to get some elevation under the pillow section. It made for a nice gentle slope up. At other times he just removed the two pieces of 2x4 and stowed them and the ply dropped down flat. If you notice the slope there are lots of solutions!
  • Options
    Michael T said:
    BTW I had a friend who slept the same way as you and the Admiral. On his boat he found their heads were down hill a bit towards the stern which they didn't like so he got a piece of 1/2" plywood which he kept under the mattresses which ran back about 3 feet and a 2x4 which he used to get some elevation under the pillow section. It made for a nice gentle slope up. At other times he just removed the two pieces of 2x4 and stowed them and the ply dropped down flat. If you notice the slope there are lots of solutions!

Heyyyyyy great idea! Yes we noticed it, and had thought about getting thicker pillows, this sounds like a better idea! Would be reasonably easy to stash somewhere too. Thanks
  • Options

Even a 1/8" thick piece of aluminum that could be easy to secure or remove. If it were split down the middle with a piano hinge it would fold in two. Maybe make it 4 feet long for a gentler slope and a couple of shim blocks at the stern end for lift.....lots of ways to handle that. I don't like sleeping "downhill" either, so I'd definately rig something!

BTW a friend had an aft berth that would slope starboard or port depending on the water/waste tank levels. It made his kids crazy so he did the same thing, a piece of plywood with 2x4 shims. No matter which way the boat was sloping he could raise that end of the bed and the kids stopped whining that they were lying downhill! LOL

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The slope is why the admiral and I sleep  in the aft cabin. It is also a queen sized bed back there, so that makes things a bit more roomy. I like the shim idea. If my fresh water tank is full, I notice the slope and I am sleeping downhill. If I have a few boat drinks, I don't notice it since I just pass out. LOL.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    ....boat drinks, I think you have the problem solved. Now I feel stupid! LOL
  • Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Alcohol. The cause and solution to most problems!
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    .....drinkin' and thinkin'.....
  • Options
    JohnCostellloJohnCostelllo Member Posts: 68
    TV mount is perfect for me   Where did you get the feed from?
    I was thinking of buying AC and DC combo I am sure the TV draws some Amps

• Options
    JohnCostelllo said: TV mount is perfect for me   Where did you get the feed from?
    I was thinking of buying AC and DC combo I am sure the TV draws some Amps

I just hid the wire in the upper shelf.....tucked it down in it.....then up and over top of cabinet, and out though hole inside, and plugged into 110v outlet. Can't see any of wire unless you look close. Just take your time and tuck it in good.
  • Options
    And I didnt bother with dvd combo, I'm just going to use a thumb drive for all my movies......its also a smart tv, so has built in netflix etc.....cheapest samsung smart tv best buy had.
  • Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    @BellevilleMXZ what do you use for internet to run your smart TV?

Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options

Nothing yet just put it in.....marina has good wifi guess we'll see how good it is. Plus is plays lots of stuff on the thumb drive

• Options
  • Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    @BellevilleMXZ I brought up the idea to the admiral of sleeping the other way on the v berth after I saw your post and a light bulb went off.  Tv looks great there.

The internet at our marina is crap and in no way could handle streaming.  I suspect most mirana's couldnt hand it either.  Wonder what others use on their boats for internet.  I have hot spot but that wont hold streaming either, at least not long enough before my gig runs out.  
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried antenna?
  • Options
    @06R270....and if you need more length you can easily fabricate an aluminum sheet that slides out a foot or more and have a fill-in piece of mattress covered foam. That would give you even more room. The piece of aluminum could be slid back under the OEM mattress and the add on mattress piece be stowed during the day. I made a permanent version of this on my 2014 EC 360 and everyone who has seen it loves the conversion. Because a good night's sleep is worth.........
  • Options
    @BellevilleMXZ I brought up the idea to the admiral of sleeping the other way on the v berth after I saw your post and a light bulb went off.  Tv looks great there.

The internet at our marina is crap and in no way could handle streaming.  I suspect most mirana's couldnt hand it either.  Wonder what others use on their boats for internet.  I have hot spot but that wont hold streaming either, at least not long enough before my gig runs out.  

I probably won't stream much, other than when nothing else on. I do have the arch ant. also.
  • Options
    Michael T said:
    @06R270....and if you need more length you can easily fabricate an aluminum sheet that slides out a foot or more and have a fill-in piece of mattress covered foam. That would give you even more room. The piece of aluminum could be slid back under the OEM mattress and the add on mattress piece be stowed during the day. I made a permanent version of this on my 2014 EC 360 and everyone who has seen it loves the conversion. Because a good night's sleep is worth.........

Interesting.....got any pics?
  • Options

I think I might have a picture. It was super easy and very inexpensive to do the platform. The mattress cost more because the Admiral wanted the same OEM foam, wanted it permanently glued to the shorter piece of mattress and re-covered the foam with an added piece of OEM cover. But she did a great job. If you made a removable piece of mattress you would avoid that time and expense.

I made a fixed aluminum extension that is about 12+" longer from 1/8" aluminum. It goes around both sides of the front bin for access. I made a rough prototype but it worked so well I used it. At one point I was going to design the aluminum piece with two C channels to slide back under the mattress but when it was "temporarily" fixed in place to check its position the Admiral said I like it like that ( don't hear that often anymore....LOL) She said - there's still a lot of room so fasten it down Mr. Yes Admiral!

There's no question that mod improved our sleeping comfort 100%. I was going to say "cheapest bang for the buck" but if the Admiral read that I'd be off that great mattress and sleeping on the swim platform....and I know from experience that sleeping out there is rough on the back!