Options

270 Aft Filler Cushions Wanted - or make?

06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
Hello,

Looking for white after filler cushions for my 2006 270.  If anyone has any for sale or knows of any please let me know.

If I cant get them, I know some of you have made some.  How?  Did you get the vinyl from Rinker?

Thanks everyone
Patrick
06 Rinker 270

Comments

• Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    I am in the process of making the filler cushions right now. I wanted the (port side) filler to be smaller than the factory set-up so we could use it as extra seating around the table. I made a template out if 1/4" luan, then transferred to 3/4" marine grade plywood. Bought a 3/4" (cut it in half) stainless rail from local marine consignment store. Ordered the matching vinyl from www.decorativefabricsdirect.com. Also ordered the foam cushioning, nylon thread and stainless staples off of amazon.com.... Still need to teach myself how to sew!!! Here's the pics of what I have so far: 
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful work. Now as has been suggested you should (I say respectfully, add either a couple of pieces of starboard to the side where the chrome extensions are, as one forum member did or a couple of rubber bumpers screwed onto the ledge where the extensions rest as I did. This will stop the seat from shooting out, as happened to my Admiral the first time, and possibly getting injured. Either way is super easy and inexpensive to do!
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    I saw that Michael and its definitely on my "to do" list, it's an excellent idea. I was trying to think of a way to do something similar to the opposite side(see 2nd pic) of the cushion as well. Seems like that side will be likely to slide out too. I just don't want to screw a small piece of starboard onto the
    lip... It'll look kind of hoaky!! Any suggestions?
  • Options
    In my case the two extension legs hold the seat firmly in place with the two rubber bumpers. To install them I put the filler cushion in place, gently lifted the rear bench seat, marked the center holes of the bumpers snug against each leg, pre drilled the holes then screwed them down after putting 3M 5200 on the threads. I waited 48 hours before using the filler and all has been well....but all applications are different and one test will tell you what you need. As my grandfather used to say, "better safe than sorry"
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice, looking forward to the finished product! I'd like to do that as well, place for the admiral to lay out....
  • Options
    edited March 2016

As usual I have spare parts LOL so I dug these up to show what I was talking about in my earlier post......These are the rubber bumpers that I used to use as stoppers for the legs of the aft filler cushion on the fiberglass ledge for the aft filler cushion "legs" on my EC 360. 

Of course I did not use the puny screws that came with them. I substituted better SS screws, pre-drilled the holes and applied 3M 5200. 

Rubber is nice as it holds the metal legs well via friction, has some give to reduce stress on the legs and the leg's holding bolts, is inexpensive and a "right off the shelf" readiness and is real easy to use.

BTW I put a small SS washer in the hole on the top of the rubber stopper before inserting the SS screw to spread the stress.

They have worked wonderfully and took less than 15 minutes to install from initial measurement to final clean -up.

If using this method do allow 48 hours for the 3M 5200 to cure before placing a load on them.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    @diggin2day1 how are the cushions going?  I love the idea that you made the port side cushion smaller for more seating.  Did you still make the other cushion for complete lounging? 

Also how did you make sure the vinyl was matching in color?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    bigal6030bigal6030 Member Posts: 157 ✭✭
    I made the same cushion for mine very easy and inexpensive. great for chillin

Big Al - 2006 - 270 Express Crusier

Home port: Hammond Ind.

• Options
    06Rinker270- I haven't made any further progress on the filler cushions, been busy working on dash panels. I plan on making the other pice too, I have to make a template before the boat leaves my backyard!! As for the vinyl color I had a few samples sent to me from http://www.decorativefabricsdirect.com and picked the closest one. I still have to learn how to operate a sewing machine and also have to order 3" high density foam(I bought 4", but it's too thick!!)
  • Options
    Sound like me, too many projects but wouldn't have it any other way.  

The sewing machine is a whole new animal.  Almost bought one to repair my winter cover myself but ended up getting it fixed.  I'm guessing you need a heavy duty machine rather than your household machine?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Do both filler cushions require metal legs to sit on lip of aft seat?  

Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    Mine sit on ledge than a metal pole on under the big one at corner starboard side
  • Options
    Been searching for some time now on where to get marine grade plywood.  Havnt called a lumber yard yet.  Found it online but then you got shipping.  

Is Marine grade plywood necessary even if its completely covered? Read somewhere that pressure treated is acceptable and others say not.
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pressure treated wood is wet and takes stainless staples. If you bought a sheet of PT plywood and dried it, it would warp like crazy. Try some lumberyards in Alexandria. Smoots or TW Perry. My son in law does millon dollar yacht interiors in Annapolis. He will know where to get it for sure
  • Options
    Called Smoots they have it $101.  They didnt pop up when I searched for lumber yards around DC.  Thank you Handy.

How did your son in law get into that business?  I bet thats fun.  
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    He's always been a custom carpenter as long as there is work
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,548 mod
    @Handymans342 - a couple weeks ago, somebody here was looking for a marine carpenter near Annapolis to repair his helm because the previous owner had made big cutouts.  I can't find the thread.  Could your son-in-law help him?
  • Options
    I think he works with Starboard too sometimes.
  • Options
    Got home from work today and busted out my wife's sewing machine. My second attempt ever at sewing and I decided to GO FOR IT.... Think the seat turned out okay, we'll find out tomorrow when I staple it over the foam to the seat base. 
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Diggin, looks great! I'm going to float over your way, I need some of my cushions redone  ;)
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    D2D1....that's AWESOME! Who knew? Guess who the Admiral will have doing the sewing from now on? She'll be out driving the boat and you'll be at home making curtains!!!! LOL
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    Dang!!  I'm really impressed doing that with a regular sewing machine!  Looks like you even have different stitches in there!  Almost makes me want to try fixing up mine myself next winter!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    Looks professional 
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    Thanks guys, the sewing machine was actually my mothers at one point. Think it's from the 50s or 60s. Had no problems at all sewing through the vinyl. We'll see how it looks when I wrap and staple it this afternoon... I'll report back w/pictures in a few hours. 
  • Options
    Okay, here she is.... Definitely not perfect, but a fantastic addition!!! Now we have extra seating around the table, another "lounge" to stretch your legs out on and soon-to-be a full sun pad. 
    Lessons learned during this project: 
    1.) Don't be a wuss... It's only a sewing machine! I was hesitant to even try it, but I'm glad I did. 
    2.) Tight radius corners are very hard to wrap in vinyl. I should have made each corner with a larger radius(just like the oem!). 
    3.) Always color match vinyl in direct sunlight!!! This vinyl looked perfect under my white winter wrapping, but it is obviously too white. Hopefully a few weeks in direct sunlight will change its attitude a bit. 
  • Options
    It don't match the colors. lOL
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, I'm  impressed. If I tried that, I'm not sure it would have turned out so good. Well done.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options

@MarkB ....agreed, I think you did an amazing job!

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    Looks fantastic!!!!  & if it helps you feel better, most of those sunpads don't match perfectly anyhow because they aren't out in the sun as much as the rest of the vinyl!  Be proud of what you did!  I'm sure it will get some great use!  & have your first drink of the year while sitting on it! :)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express