Options

Anodes- What do i need.

This is my first boat that stays in the water and i know i need to grab some anodes, hoping someone can tell me what though!   2003 342 with Bravo 3's.  I know the p.o told me as does the maintenance excel sheet i received with the boat that when he replaced the lower legs of the B3's he got the newer version with extra anodes.  So since i don't yet have access to the boat but i am attempting to show up with all items needed can someone tell me what i need.
2003 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee, 350 Mag MPI, Bravo 3 2.20:1 w/ 22p 4 x4 props

Comments

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

First, I assume your boating will be fresh water boating - that would be Magnesium anodes. If you boat in brackish water (salt/fresh mix) you would want Aluminum anodes and ocean salt water would ne Zinc anodes. I have the kit # for Mercruiser parts somewhere. I'll look it up if someone doesn't post it first. You can also but the kits at West Marine, Defender Marine and a lot of marine supply stores.

• Options
    pault1216pault1216 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    Amazon has some good prices also.
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Boatzincs.com is where I buy my anodes.  For bravo 3s they recommend the aluminum alloy in salt water. The older alphas called for zinc. Also replace your water heater and genny anodes. 
  • Options
    IMO if you are using Aluminum anodes in salt water you had better check them frequently,  have a well functioning cathode system, have a galvanic isolator and not be in a marina that has a lot of stray electrical currents. I'd be very careful with Aluminum anodes in salt water!
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    +1 on Boatzincs.com.  Being you're in Cleveland I'm guessing Lake Erie so magnesium anodes should be right.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    WildboatingWildboating Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    Sorry,  Yes I am in Cleveland on Lake Erie.  Is there a kit number, since they replaced the lower legs with newer ones that have more anodes Im not sure what kit to get.

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use boatzincs.com as well. They have good prices for their stuff. Since you are in Fresh water, you are going to want Magnesium and if it is a newer style lower unit, order the Bravo 3, 2004 and newer kit. You will also need trim tab anodes. I get the 3 inch ones, but some of the boats had the hole drilled too close to the actuator, so you might need a smaller one.

http://www.boatzincs.com/bravo3-mag-kit.html

2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    @Wildboating....then back to my original reply to you, you should be using Magnesium anodes. How new are the lower "legs" AND do your props have nthe bolt holes to accept the prop anodes?
  • Options

Mercruiser Anode Kit for 2014 and newer Blll drives with prop anode: 888760Q04MM  I paid about $111 for each kit *****MM stands for magnesium

From West Marine:

Bravo lll 2004 to present: Magnesium Anode Kit - 11426764 $119 each

It says this kit contains the extra pieces required for newer B llls

• Options
    BayrunnerBayrunner Member Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Since MT answer your question I thought I would offer up a web site for you to look at for winterizing and boat maintenance on a Rinker FV312. Hope they offer some good information to you.   www.youtube.com/user/liboatersclub
    Bayrunner -- FV312 - Simple Pleasure
  • Options
    WildboatingWildboating Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    Thank you everyone!!  This was a big help.  I will crack open these boxes that just arrived of Hill marine 4 x 4's and see if they have holes Michael T!