2003 342 Port Fuel Tank Leak

DaveGDaveG Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
I have a leaking port fuel tank on my 2003 342 Rinker. Any suggestions on the best way to remove fuel tank to get this repaired? Has anyone else experienced this problem with this model?
Very disappointed with Rinker Boats. No help from factory. Seems to me fuel tank should last longer then this! Boat I sold when buying this Rinker was over 20 years, never had a issue like this.
This Rinker has been lift kept it whole life, never kept in water unless being used. Only 375 hours, Shame on you Rinker!  

Comments

• StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I think the vendor who made the tanks are more of the cause than Rinker.  That's like blaming Rinker for a bad motor made by Mercury.

The fuel tanks are next to impossible to access.  I've heard of people getting to water and waste tanks by removing the mid-berth.  Not sure if that will get you to the fuel tanks too, but that should be where they're located.  The only other access that comes to mind would be to pull the motors, then pull the firewall.

I hope you're able to find a solution.  Having the same boat puts me in danger of the same issue.  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, Rinker doesn't make that tank. Also the leak could easily be a function of not having proper grounding, or acidic solutions coming in contact with the outside of the tank, so it's difficult to ask Rinker to take responsibility.

It sucks though, I get you.

You aren't the first person to have to deal with a leaking fuel tank (not just Rinker). Check on this forum, do a search.  There are a few that have gone through this and know what to do.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• DaveGDaveG Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    Had issue with this boat when new, it was getting sea water into cabin getting carpet wet when using boat. Water was coming in port side of boat. Dealer removed rub rail and resealed  and bathroom window. Wonder if this was the start of corrosion of the fuel tank on port side? Boat almost was going to be sent back to factory to have deck and hull split open and resealed.
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can blame Rinker for a lot of stuff on my boat.
    1) Wrong throttle cables
    2) Bad transom glass finishing causing transom bracket to break.
    3) Poor over all wiring.

Shall I continue?  :)
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dave, was the tank continuously sitting in water? For instance, was the bilge backed up so much that it was wetting the tank? Also, is the drainage around the tank sufficient. Generally if the tank is kept dry, some salt water exposure probably won't be an issue. However, if it sat in salt water or exposed to wet parts for a long time, it could be an issue.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Talk to any boat owner. Always issues. My slipmate bought a $3MM boat when I got mine, problems for 2+ years, including gelcoat issues. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
    Not sure if tank sat in water for any period of time. Not sure about drains around tank being clogged up.  I guess that is something that has to be checked when tank is removed.
    Just thinking out loud and venting. :) 
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    @DaveG - you've come to the right place for solid advice.

Fuel tank failures are rare, but the ones that do fail tend to gather a lot of attention because the repair costs are so high.  I hate to say it, but your boat will need major surgery.  People who build express cruisers, in general, do not bother making it easy to remove the fuel tanks (because the failure rate is so low).  

I've never heard of it happening on a 342, but I hope you can find someone who has done it. Like @Stodge said, I am guessing you'll have to pull the engines and remove the firewall.  
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you sure it is the tank itself and not fittings/hoses?

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could one of your lines be leaking or sender gasket needs to be replaced? I would check everything before having the tank pulled.
    2008 330EC
    Is it just easier on a 342 AL? Everyone else had to remove engines, etc
    Is it just gas boats because of ethanol?
    All the leaking tanks on here looks like it was from rubbing raw rough fiberglass making holes
    Well which model has what and why didn't they all have the same standards? Thanks Al

• DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    As al stated, getting to the tanks is not that bad. You need to take the aft cabin apart, starting with the aft top trim piece, then aft center door and panel. Then side cushions and then side panels......I think that's the order.
    I've never taken the tanks out but removal of what I stated above gives you great access to the tanks. Couple of hrs the first time to get to the tanks.
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    AL.
    Has usual you give excellent tips. Would that same process apply to the 300 express 2007.
    Thanks
    Paul
    Well that has to be rare around the country. Al, you mention tank inspections. What does that involve? Internal? External to some extent? Thanks
    Thanks for all the great advice. Taking cabin apart definitely easier then pulling engine and cutting bulkhead. 
    Added dye to fuel tank and used blue light and did not see any leaks at fuel line or sending unit. Saw dye between side of tank and and hull. Was able to remove cover over sending unit under seat and look down on tank.
    Al, 
    Thanks for the info.
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great tips AL!
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    LaRea said:

I've never heard of it happening on a 342, but I hope you can find someone who has done it. Like @Stodge said, I am guessing you'll have to pull the engines and remove the firewall.  
    Glad to hear I was wrong on this one.  Great info Al.  Makes me feel better about any future issues.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• 06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    How do you inspect the tanks as @Alswagg said to do on an annual basis?

If been through this before Dave and no it wasn't fun but I had a stronger boat when it was done.  But if I had to do it all over again I would take my time and do my homework.  I relied on the "Professional" option of my Marina owner at the time and got burned bad  Find the best technician you can for the job who has the proper training and didn't learn his mechanic skills from the local shop.  I would also do as much work myself to save money.  Sounds like taking the aft cabin apart isn't too crazy.  

I have relied on the advice from the people on his forum and always came out on top.  Good luck Dave.  
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, have to make the comment, again. Perhaps Al has seen my previous post on this and figured I was crazy and did not chime in......perhaps on the 342, as Al has layed out not that big of a deal. At least if your treated fairly. I'm in the car business, wish I would have gotten in the boat business. Anyway, I started a thread some time ago, there are fuel grade military approved bladders. At least on a 270, cut out the section visible, roll in a bladder and fill with air to fill in against the tank and use the old tank to support the bladder, keep on boaitin. Perhaps the red neck is coming out....
    Who makes those bladders?
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bertram made some beautiful sport fishers in the day I'm sorry that the owners are having problems now. I have discussed our forum threads on fuel tank problems with a boating friend who has several insurance offices and he said "you don't want to know how much inspection and paperwork is required by my company for a fuel tank fail unless it is a simple R&R of the OEM parts. Even then it's bad enough but if the solution involves a new construction - it's almost worth writing the boat off because of premiums".
    It is good to know fuel tank can be pulled out thru cabin.
    Thanks Al for that great info.
    Going to tackle this project soon. Will let you all know the outcome.
    Al, Back in March we had some communications about how to remove the leaking port fuel tank. You stated that it would come out thru cabin taking apart aft cabin. I started looking at cabin and interior and how to take it apart. I see that there is a bulkhead between interior and the fuel tank. It looks like it is fiber-glassed in place. Does it need to be cut out and re glassed back in place after tank has been replaced? Or is it held in place with screws?
    Just trying to do all my homework before I get started so there are no surprises.
    Thanks for any help you can give me
    Dave G    
  • HishamKinaniHishamKinani Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    What about the waste tank , how can I get to it , is it also through tha Aft cabin or there is a much easier way . TKS . Hisham kinani
    Aft cabin door and remove panels on right side