Options

Yet another prop thread - what do you guys recommend for 25ft Fiesta V?

5.7L Mercruiser 250 with Alpha 1 on a 1990 Rinker 250. Have a difficult time getting the boat to plane when loaded - it just won't raise up and go over 3k-3500 rpm even at full throttle. Currently have a 3 blade 15in / 17pitch prop. I think stock these come with around 14.25 in / 21 pitch one, so I'm guessing the current set up is to small to pull the hull out of the water.

Mind you when the boat is nearly empty/light, it will plane out and go over 4K rpms. 

I was thinking something along the lines of 14.25 diameter 4 blade at 19pitch should be the right answer. 

Answers

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016

Wow. You are sure that with a 17" pitch prop you can only get 3000-3500 RPM at WOT? I think something is wrong. Until I read the WOT/RPM I was thinking you would be red lining. Do you have full travel of t your throttle cable? Where is your drive trimmed at? Is your hull and drive clean? You have checked your prop for damage? You have not mentioned any engine misfiring or white or black smoke. BTW do you know your drive ratio?

• Options
    planesailingplanesailing Member Posts: 173 ✭✭
    Trim tabs??? I have a 242 with 5.7 merc and bravo 3. I used to really struggle to get on plane when loaded but with the correct use of trim tabs my boat now jumps on plane really quickly regardless of load.
  • Options
    pxmpxmpxmpxm Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2016
    I've got full range on the throttle as far as I can tell. I've redone all the ignition and fuel filter stuff this past year and seems to run just fine without any misfires. 

Clean hull last year and new prop. I'll have to check to make sure the fuel pressure and engine timing, but it doesn't run rough by any means. The engine is very recent replacement, maybe 100 hours on it tops. Would be surprised if the fuel pump is bad, unless they moved it from the old one. 

Trim tabs are there, but not really operational - have to redo the lines and what not this year. The outdrive can be trimmed up and down without issue. 
    Post edited by pxmpxm on