Options

How to get rid of vinyl striping

craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
So I was killing myself using a heat gun, plastic razor blades, and goo gone trying to remove my 10 year old vinyl boot stripe when I thought there had to be a better way. That's when I discovered the 3m eraser. I did my whole 2 layer boot stripe, registration numbers, and rinker hullside logos in about 3 hours. At the rate I was going with the heat gun it would have taken me a full day. Go add it to your boat tool bag. You can get them online for $30 or so, or auto zone carries them for 41. 

Comments

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @craigswardmtb thanks for the tip. Looks like a savior. BTW I hate using a heat gun on a boat hull. I know guys do it all the time but lingering too long can have disasterous effects. This looks like a fantastic alternative. Great find!
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just removed my boot stripe.  Just warmed with a hairdryer and it peeled off mostly by hand.  Just had to back over it with 3M Adhesive Remover to get the residual glue off.

Personally, I like it better less the stripe.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

I'm in the same boat.  I like it sans boot stripe.  It seems more modern to me.  They certainly added it for a reason though.  The blue gel coat edge line is not crisp in some areas.  White gel coat overtakes the blue edge in some spots.  I'm wrapping my boat so I'm not concerned.

On the cold day I tackled my stripe, even with a heat gun, I couldn't get the thing to peel at all.  The next day when it was 60 I got some areas to peel, but the eraser was still ideal.  The eraser gets rid of the adhesive as well, which saves a step.  Not that using adhesive remover or goo gone is really all that time consuming.