Options

Pulling the boat out for service

redlightningredlightning Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
pulling the boat to get new trim sensors installed on my VP drives.  Planning on having motor alignment checked, new gimble bearings and bellows replaced while drives are removed.  Shop is going to do basic maint and checks on drives and oil, impellers and filters on the motors.  Also going to have the generator serviced.  Is there anything else I should have checked or serviced during this event?  Thanks in advance for any feedback.
2011Sea Ray 450 Twin 8.2’s Bravo III Sterndrive
2012 390 Sea Ray Twin 8.2’s Inboard - Sold
2008 330 Express Cruiser - Sold

Comments

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anodes
    Fresh water pump impeller. 

How is your gear lube? If it's being consumed have them check the prop seals.

How many hours on the engine?

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    I replaced the anodes last year in May when I bought the boat.  I had planned to inspect the condition.  Since we are in fresh water and the boat has never been in salt or brakish water I am not expecting I will need to replace this season.  Wrong assumption?
  • Options
    HamdogHamdog Member Posts: 247 ✭✭
    Right assumption. I went 5 years on a set on anodes in fresh water. Depends a lot on what boats are next to yours. Big older cruisers are the worst. I have newer cruisers on both sides of me which helps.
    "Wetted" Bliss 2005 Rinker 342 - Black Hull - Twin Mercruiser 350 Mags - BIII's
  • Options
    Newer cruiser and Gibson house boats close to me.  I figured there will be visible evidence of the need to replace.  Thanks
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When the anodes reach 50% of their original mass I would think replace. Biggest culprit in fresh water is electricity leaking from nearby boats and bad dock electrical systems.
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I boat in fresh water, use magnesium anodes, and I have to replace them every year. A lake might be different than a river because there isn't any constant current like there is on a river. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    youstolemybeeryoustolemybeer Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    if you have the boat out of the water then......
     Oil change, full tune up, carb rebuild, ANYTHING that it needed before you pulled it out.
    For some reason doing stuff on concrete is way easier than doing it in a slip.