Options

transom mount Sony remote

skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
Hi

Purchased a 2002 270 Fiesta Vee last year mid season and I'm looking to update the stereo system.
I wondering how to remove the existing transom stereo remote.  Doesn't appear to be any place that I stick my hand up where it would be mounted from behind.

I'm pretty sure is a MRC2 remote...kind of oval in shape.

thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks,
Sean

2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3

Comments

• Options
    TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
     I just did this.   The remote has two very thin metal screws that are mounted in the back that pushes through the fiberglass with a nut on each.  they're almost impossible to get to.   The only way I could get a hand  on mine was by removing the plate above the engine Vents and removing the back vent.   The problem is the screws are extremely long and most likely corroded     What I did was simply slide a metal knife behind it and gently snap the bolts out of the back of the remote.   When you pull the remote off be careful not to pull out the two wires in back.   I took my remote a park and re-soldered the four wires back onto the printed circuit board then re-installed with some marine caulk held in place with duct tape until it cured.  
     Also, if you want to see what you're dealing with you could take your dash panel off and look at the one mounted to that 
  • Options
    TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    If you're in successful fixing it here is the remote on eBay.  
    http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/191267952827 
  • Options
    Hey Trashman,

Thanks for the reply...I didn't even think about the vents giving me access.  I'll try it.

The remote works..I want to upgrade my head unit and I'm guessing the old remotes won't work with a new head unit.  I was going to attempt to mess around with it and see if I could get it to work.

Sean

2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Follow up to this.  I ended up buying a new kenwood head unit to replace the existing kenwood.  Wired it up including the wired remotes and it worked like a charm.  Simply spliced the old harness into the new and connected the remote wire to the new units remote wire.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    If you stick with Sony and it has the same connections for the remote it should keep working fine. I'm upgrading my head unit here soon, and that's what I plan.
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too bad Clarion didn't use the same cord for the remotes. If I upgrade I have to pull new cords around the boat.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Actually I originally  thought my unit was a sony....it was actually a kenwood.  So I figured I'd have the best luck sticking with the same.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3