A Great Boating Story

HamdogHamdog Member Posts: 247 ✭✭
Talking to Sixpack actually got me remembering this as it happened at his Marina ........ 

We we rented houseboats for years at Holly Bay Marina on Laurel Lake in KY for years. They always have the Marina guy check out the boat with you before you leave explaining how everything works, marking previous damage, etc....well this one year we had the guy say I just had a weird experience. He said he had checked out the boat at the fuel dock just before us and it was loaded with 12 women who looked to already be into the juice. We had noticed them as they were dancing on the top of the boat and it was only about noon... Maybe. He asked if anybody had experience operating a houseboat and one of the women stepped forward and said " I could drive the Titanic thru the Suez Canal". The guy was a little bit Leary but let it pass. Suddenly the houseboat at the fuel dock went full throttle with a hard turn away from the dock. The aft end smacked the dock a few times but the throttle remained pressed to the hilt. It would have had to make a complete 180 degree turn to clear the other boats but it wasn't going to make it. The dock guys were jumping from boat to boat to try and catch it. It smacked about the third boat in line and the 4th and the 5th then it straightened out and headed for the no wake buoys under full throttle. The dock guys jumped in a pontoon and took Chase. They caught it just before it cleared the buoys and were bringing it back when we were cleared to leave. Just a funny story from a lot of years ago.
"Wetted" Bliss 2005 Rinker 342 - Black Hull - Twin Mercruiser 350 Mags - BIII's

Comments

• sixpacksummersixpacksummer Member Posts: 43
    I guess that's why they have a dockhand drive the rental boats past the buoys before turning the boat over to you. I probably knew some of those girls, sounds like some of them are still there. Good story. Many of the members on this forum from Canada or the East Coast would not know what to make of the lakes in southern Ky or the boaters on the lakes. Good people there but a different breed. Friend of mine from Boston visited for a few days, was kind of an eye opener for them.
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have been to a couple of shoot outs in the USA like at Lake of the Ozarks.....fast boats, fast cars and much, much faster girls......of course you can always go faster with your top down - less wind resistance, I guess....does that qualify as wild? If so.......
  • sixpacksummersixpacksummer Member Posts: 43
    MT, I think maybe you may be on to something. Sounds like you may fit right in in southern Ky. But you also need a southern accent LOL
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I went to American schools for 3 years I can do Boston, So Cal and a  fairly decent Southern Drawl....much better after a couple of Buds!