Options

Need help with Helm Station - see below

JDAYRES777JDAYRES777 Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
edited April 2016 in Rinker Support Q&A
Good Afternoon Fellow Rinker Boat Owners, and I am so proud to be part of this great boating fraternity of owners.  Folks I have a major issue and I really need help. I am a new boater as far as being an owner; and, Rinker is my first boat. I have a 2000 Rinker Fiesta Vee 270 in good condition except for 1 area that needs some major work, and that is the HELM STATION.  The prior owner "butchered" the flat section where you put your chart, by cutting into it for instruments (GPS AND RADAR), that small flat area needs to be totally cut away and replaced with new material.  I need some recommendations folks.  I have all of the manuals on the boat, including wiring diagrams, but no descriptions of how to remove that entire helm station and get behind it where it meets the cabin bulkhead wall behind it.  I am in Middle River Baltimore County Maryland and need name of good firm close by that can do this work and also help me with newly purchased electronics install. To further complicate this matter, the prior owner put in an old Navico Rotary autopilot that I need to being up to date.  Any help and recommendations would be appreciated.  my email address is available upon request. Thanks so much JDA.
Post edited by raybo3 on

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    partlowrpartlowr Member Posts: 119 ✭✭
    Hello and welcome. Please post some photos of what you're dealing with so we can see if it's something that is salvageable or if your're going to need to buy a replacement.
  • Options
    Hi, will post pictures in the next few days.  I do not have any pictures currently available.  Will get back to you shortly. I know it is salvageable; and, a new piece of product can be enlayed in there. I just do not know what to use, and, I do not think starboard is going to be total answer, unless it is 1/2 or 3/4 inch thick.  Will communicate soon.  Thanks, JDA 
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    You can get 1/2" HDPE sheets at West Marine.  Water proof and strong.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options

Good Afternoon Mark B, partlowr and all others trying to help me with is problem. AS promised pictures of my prior owner butchered helm station taken Saturday Night 02 April 2016. As you can see, quite a mess.  I need all recommendations, with any drawings, pictures, diagrams you might think would resolve this dilemma. I have been able to locate a new clear map cover from Great Lakes Skipper the Rinker 270. I would really like to have the original helm area for charts, and mount bothe the new Simrad GO7 Chartplotter and the original Simrad Annritsu radar on removable mounts. But, the radar screen is gigantic and that's going to take 1 big mount, with some new wiring.  I am very interested in seeing, hearing what you all suggest and recommend. I need to know whether to cut away the remaining old original fiberglass flat surface and replace with either new OEM material from Rinker that I might be able to obtain; and or, after market material.   Or, do I take the new flat surface material and mount it over the old material, keeping the old material as a stronger base for the new material.  Either way I have some wiring to do, and it's going to be any interesting challenge.  If you wish to speak to me, or send me specific diagrams you would recommend, please let me know and I will provide you with my email address for private communication. I could also use the name of a good marine carpenter in my area 21220 zip code or within 25 miles of here, who could handle the refit with the new material.

All of my best to you all, and many thanks for your help,

John

Beacon of the Bay

Middle River, Baltimore County Maryland

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could always have the fiberglass restored and start with a clean factory looking dash. That's what I would do
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    @Handymans342 - could your son-in-law help this guy?
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably. If he PMs me.
  • Options

Handymans 342 and LaRea, I just got your postings today 27 April 2016. I had a former Rinker 270 owner who now has a marine business look at boat last week. To say this is going to take some work is an understatement.  The old helm auto pilot with is a Navico Rotary needs to come out, and the 14 circuit breaker panel under the helm station is cracked and needs replacement and rewiring.  In short, the prior owner tried to make this boat under his ownership do what a bigger boat does without buying a bigger boat.  I have since removed the old Simrad Annritsu Radar from the arch and the display from the butchered panel.  I have tried to pull most of the old radar cable back through the arch from the helm station. But, its caught on something and I cannot pull all of it back through to toss it.  Also, the 14 breaker panel under the helm station is not flush like it should be.  The prior owner built a bulkhead out of wood and pulled it down and mounted it so he could make room inside the butchered helm station for the auto pilot and other old gadgets. The side switch panel near the throttle and all of the Throttle/trim Controls and the engine, transom and outdrive are really great. I just had the heat exchanger over hauled at a Radiator shop here in Baltimore and new seals, pressure tested..the works, and it is going to be installed on May 10th, with 2 new hoses and de-winterized and the guts and drivetrain of the boat will be ready for the season.  All of my issues are localized to the helm station behind and under the helm wheel.  Everything else works great including the gauges. I still cannot get the gauges to light up at night, and I have been told the ignition has to be on for that, but, I am not quite sure that statement is factual. Everything in the cabin is great too. it's beautiful and gel coat is great too. What I need is someone who will take the time with me to work through this matter and rebuild and rewire the helm station properly. Furthermore, my nearest Rinker dealer is useless. The factory sent me to them and I wasted my time with them. They did not want to touch this; and, I told the factory management the same.  The factory is trying to help me right now with the parts I need. I have even asked them to talk to the folks on the assembly floor who are still there that built my boat; and give me solutions not referrals. I have also asked them to please see if they have a helm station in similar measurements and size available that I can purchase. ****, we can just remove the old and put in a new one (if it will fit).  I am also open to helm station rebuild with existing structure and new sandstone starboard, (which I just ordered a piece of).  What I need is someone with creative experience as a marine carpenter and marine electrical rewiring experience that can rebuild and rewire this helm station, and add additional switches for additional lights I have purchased. I do not plan on keeping my new Simrad RS-35 Radio in the panel.  I want to plug in/plug out portable mount that just below the throttle area. We have had a rash of radio thefts at Marina's in the Baltimore Area. So, it is being recommended by Marine Police/MD DNR authorities to portable mount the radio and lock it up after cruising.  Also, I need someone who will take there time on this, and not tell me when I call them or go to them with this matter, how much other work they have to do, and, they never get back to me. I am sick and tired of that kind of unprofessional and disrespectful attitude out of the marine vendors in my area. I am busy too and spend countless hours looking for parts I need and seeking help to solve this dilemma. My time is just as valuable, and, I have my own business clients to handle and tend too. But, I never tell them I am too busy and I always get back to people. So this is my problem, I need help. Hope to hear from you folks soon.

Many thanks,

John D. Ayres

USPS Licensed Operator

Beacon of the Bay

Middle River, Maryland 21220 

• Options
    93Vee93Vee Member Posts: 86 ✭✭
    Hi JD, I just finished a helm reconstruction of my 1993 Fiesta Vee. It had many of the same issues discussed. I had searched the internet to find the best way to deal with this issue. I never did find a replacement that would work.What I finally did was cut out the old instrument panel face and fuse panel entirely. I used 1/2" starboard which is inexpensive and easy to work with and cut. I added all new instruments and had a marine company rewire the panel. It now has new toggle switches and CBs that work with good backlighting for the engine instruments. It did take some time. (2 months). The starboard had to be heated and molded to face of the helm. I used a black carbonate which really modernized the look of the old girl and added new LED lighting for cockpit. It may be the way to go or at least a road to investigate. 
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks great!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Thanks. It came out better than I had hoped.
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice work.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"