Options

found the source of my starboard exhaust heat issue- thought I'd share

212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
as it may have been similar to at least two others here.... @Black_Diamond and I can't recall the other person's username. 

exhaust shutter atop the Y pipe, just under the elbow.... how 'bout that?  usually they break up and head south... sometimes they don't... they jam in the closed position... one side of the flappers on my starboard upper Y was like this... it's a twenty to thirty minute job to swap them.  they aren't expensive, and other than wrestling with the bellow, they pop right out by prying the bridge, and new ones pop right on... 

the other three flaps were just dangling downward. 

this is my first inboard, so I don't know how common this is- but it is/was certainly the case with mine... that exhaust manifold/riser was getting exactly half the flow, and this also explains why the water (when running on muffs) was strong from one side and weak (but hot!) on the other (the starboard side)... 

punch line:  I thought the manifolds or risers were toast, and blocking up the passages... which is the biggest reason I repowered... excuses... I hope my wife doesn't see this... 

check yer flaps 'mateys... 

Comments