Options

Car Wax vs Marine Wax

BayrunnerBayrunner Member Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
I been told by some boaters they use high grade car wax to detail their boat.  I always use marine wax because the gelcoat is porous vs the clearcoat on a car which is not so porous.  Is there really big differences between the wax.
Bayrunner -- FV312 - Simple Pleasure

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    I have done both with good results now wax verses polish I'm been researching and still don't quite get 
  • Options
    BayrunnerBayrunner Member Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
    JC - I'm wondering the same myself if I should use polish.  Maybe you wax and then apply the polish for the extra shine.  I'm not sure.  Is it worth the extra work.
    Bayrunner -- FV312 - Simple Pleasure
  • Options
    partlowrpartlowr Member Posts: 119 ✭✭
    I use some of the Meguiar's Marine and RV Flagship cleaner, polish and swirl removers because they are specifically formulated to cut and polish gelcoat but I didn't like the Meguiar's Marine and RV wax, it seems thicker and takes a lot more effort to apply and remove(I always do this step by hand), it was always streaking. I have tried several different waxes, marine formulations and non-marine formulations and my favorite is Meguiar's Ultimate paste wax which is an automotive product. It's pretty expensive but it goes on easy, comes off easy with no streaking or swirls and beads water better than any other product I have tried. I have also found out that it works great on stainless, actually better than stainless cleaners, I usually just spray some Windex on a soft cloth and wipe down all my stainless then I apply a coat of the Meguiar's Ultimate wax to the stainless along with the rest of the hull. the results are incredible.
  • Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    I have had great luck with the Meguiars Marine/RV wax unlike @partlowr. I think its goes on easy and comes easy lol. Different strokes different fokes. I like it because it also has some compound properties in it as well which is an easy one step process for areas that need a little TLC. 
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    jme097 said:
    I have had great luck with the Meguiars Marine/RV wax unlike @partlowr. I think its goes on easy and comes easy lol. Different strokes different fokes. I like it because it also has some compound properties in it as well which is an easy one step process for areas that need a little TLC. 
    I've got nearly a full bottle of it I can give you :)
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have had 3 black hulls going back to 2011 and have had great success with Meguiar's Flagship was -  liquid in the black bottle - no cutting agents. Goes on and off easily by hand and buffs up (by hand with soft towels) very well, in our case.
  • Options
    summerxsummerx Member Posts: 211 ✭✭✭
    Bayrunner said:
    JC - I'm wondering the same myself if I should use polish.  Maybe you wax and then apply the polish for the extra shine.  I'm not sure.  Is it worth the extra work.
    you have that backwards Bayrunner.  You compound, polish and then wax, in that order.  If there isn't much oxidation, you can get away with just polish, then wax.  for a brand new boat, just wax.
    I would recommend an orbital polisher with foam pads for polishing or wool pads for compounding.  wax can either be with a foam finishing pad and the polisher or by hand.
    I would recommend at least doing a polishing step and then wax.
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    edited March 2016
    Right -- waxing is always the last step.  Think of polish as a very fine-grit sandpaper.  The purpose of polish is to make the surface smooth.  Once the surface is smooth, you apply wax to protect it from oxidizing and becoming rough.  

Think of it this way: polishing is mechanical process that removes material from the surface, while waxing is a chemical process that adds material to the surface.
  • Options
    Of course, there are "cleaner waxes" that try to combine polishing with waxing.  They work, but in my experience, they don't last as long or look as good as a real wax product.
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    Of course, there are "cleaner waxes" that try to combine polishing with waxing.  They work, but in my experience, they don't last as long or look as good as a real wax product.
    I agree, a multi step system always gives me the best results. In the spring I wash the boat with a dish washing detergent like Palmoliv that strips all the old wax off, then I use a cleaner, then a polish with a buffer then finally a hand applied wax. It's an all day project but the end result is worth it. I will then use Meguiar's spray detailer after I put the boat on the trailer after each use, this extends the life of the wax. For washes in between I use the Mequiar's marine wash.

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was told to use a pure Carnuba wax only
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Knock on wood, never had to use a "polish". Wash boat all summer with soft water. Towel off if possible. If REALLY dirty, use Johnson's Baby Shampoo - no more tears - then soft water, then towel off. To wax: wash with soft water, towel off, use Meguiars Flagship Wax with about 20 small white face cloths, using a fresh cloth face with each application. Let set, buff off by hand with fresh towels for each area. Has worked well for 25 years with white, red and 3 black gel coat hulls. Never had to compound, or "polish" - just wash and wax. You have seen the finishes on my boats.
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Some compounds break down to a very fine grit and should allow you to skip polishing and move to wax. 
  • Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Had GREAT results with Starbrite PTEF marine polish/wax. Tried Klasse AIO the previous year, and while its amazing on my cars, it didnt hold up great on the boat.
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ISLAND GIRL....

(now that I dropped that little bomb, I'm just gonna watch for a while... yes, I'm evil like that)
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    honestly, there is no replacement for some 2500# wet sanding, some cutting polish (always polish first unless you're intent on polishing wax), some good wiping/scrubbing, and then a good coat of quality wax.  

I tried the compounding... never again... i have a box of 2500# waiting for me now. 
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drew, that wet sanding's going to chew through your gelcoat. The gelcoat layer isn't that thick.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    i ain't going to do it every year, Mark... but if allowed to escalate to the need for a compound, if done correctly it isn't going to take much more off than compounding... notice I said 2500#.. I'd use even finer if I could readily find it. 
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I know 2500 is good. I've used it where I've needed to repair, and it almost looks polished with just that grit. But I also learned the hard way (with 1500 grit) that it doesn't take much sanding to work right through the gelcoat. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    i hear ya.. wet, and by hand using a wet rag in the other... stop when oxidation is gone or when polish will hide what's left.  its a game of nerves.
  • Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 950 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    I buff my boat every season, and I detailed professionally when I was younger. I've typically used high grade automotive products on my boat, because it's what I've had in the shop, but this year I ordered some Marine 31 Caltains One-Step Compund & Polish, and Marine 31 Gel Coat Wax + Sealant and I'm very impressed with the results. 

I used a DAP (dual action polisher) to apply both products. With the polish I used a light cutting pad, and I'm VERY impressed with how well it did to shine up the boat and remove light scratches and water stains from the Texas lakes. 

With the wax, I used a finishing pad and it went on and off with great results, leaving and very deep and wet gloss. I typically use commercial grade 3M products but this stuff is amazing and I'll never use anything else ever again. I can assure that nobody would ever guess it's a 13 year old boat, as it looks as good, if not better, than new. 
  • Options
    dropoutdropout Member Posts: 138 ✭✭✭
    I like 3M with Scotch guard marine wax for the boat and the cars.
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    JoeStang said:
    Had GREAT results with Starbrite PTEF marine polish/wax. Tried Klasse AIO the previous year, and while its amazing on my cars, it didnt hold up great on the boat.
    Same here, in the fall before I covered the boat I used a wheel and Collinite 885 paste wax (great wax, lasts all season). Just the other day I used Starbrite PTEF wax and it really brought out the shine.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    I used the Scotch Gaurd
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you guys are killing me, I'm getting the boat out of storage Saturday! cleaning, waxing, fixing things, Lights, TV, Radio, Tables, Raise the seat, water pump, New US flag, trim tabs, Paint, I got a new grill, bilge pump, Tv antenna,  :) and a new special flag, pic's to come later.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    I'll pass on the great link Tiki Hut posted on here that I follow and got great results.

http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=117266

Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    06 looks great......
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com