Options

Table Rock Lake/Lake of the Ozarks question

69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭
We are planning on taking a bit of a road trip with the family this year, and I'm looking for some insight and personal experiences. Table Rock Lake, and LOTO are both within the distance that we are looking to travel, but we know little about each lake. 

We have a Rinker Captiva 232, and I've been told that when LOTO gets busy, it can be too small because that lake gets real big. All the research we've done on Table Rock says that it's very crowded and "touristy." 

We are looking for a campground that has nice natural scenery, are not packed on top of each other, and are not all touristy and crowded. We want the scenery of the lake, but don't want to be where everyone else is. We are tent camping and just want electricity and water, but want room to park the boat with us. Does anyone have a recommendation? Thoughts? Input?

Comments

• Options
    redlightningredlightning Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    Check out Beaver Lake.  Just a bit south.  Water you can dive in.  Not overtaken with big boats.
    2011Sea Ray 450 Twin 8.2’s Bravo III Sterndrive
    2012 390 Sea Ray Twin 8.2’s Inboard - Sold
    2008 330 Express Cruiser - Sold
  • Options
    Awesome, I'll take a look. 

Also, we will be going early-mid June. Honestly, we want the scenery of the lakes mentioned, but we went a not crowded, clean, spacious campground. Our main focus will be boating and swimming. Not a ton of people. 
  • Options
    Robs_232Robs_232 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

LOTO is very busy with many large boats in summer months, especially holidays and weekends. IMO don't go to LOTO if you want a non stressed boating experience. I have been boating there for 25+ years and I have a 232 Captiva BR and it's hit or miss on fun on the water. During the day forget about it with a 232. I take my boss' 37' Sea Ray out when busy, but don't want to dock anywhere b/c of traffic and rough water. However, there maybe more bars and restaurant's on LOTO and many are a great time.

Close friends (neighbors) go to Table Rock every year, with same size boat, over the 4th of July and say it's wonderful. I'm torn between using my boss' house and using his boat for free anytime vs. paying to go to Table Rock. In your situation Id choose Table Rock! I think I might try that this year,

• Options
    redlightningredlightning Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    Seriously.  Check out the ozarks in north west arkansas. World class museum 15 min from one of the most beautiful clean lakes you will find.  Great camping and state parks.  Going Saturday evening to Hobbs state park for an evening with the astronomy club.  Pulled my 24 ft mastercraft to table rock a few times before I bought my rinker and really would have preferred to have a large boat.  
    2011Sea Ray 450 Twin 8.2’s Bravo III Sterndrive
    2012 390 Sea Ray Twin 8.2’s Inboard - Sold
    2008 330 Express Cruiser - Sold
  • Options
    Robs_232Robs_232 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    Doesn't sound like we are talking about the same lake, in southern MO, as I know Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri, not Arkansas. My bad if that's the case.
  • Options
    Seriously.  Check out the ozarks in north west arkansas. World class museum 15 min from one of the most beautiful clean lakes you will find.  Great camping and state parks.  Going Saturday evening to Hobbs state park for an evening with the astronomy club.  Pulled my 24 ft mastercraft to table rock a few times before I bought my rinker and really would have preferred to have a large boat.  
    So you're referring to Beaver lake?
  • Options
    Robs_232 said:

LOTO is very busy with many large boats in summer months, especially holidays and weekends. IMO don't go to LOTO if you want a non stressed boating experience. I have been boating there for 25+ years and I have a 232 Captiva BR and it's hit or miss on fun on the water. During the day forget about it with a 232. I take my boss' 37' Sea Ray out when busy, but don't want to dock anywhere b/c of traffic and rough water. However, there maybe more bars and restaurant's on LOTO and many are a great time.

Close friends (neighbors) go to Table Rock every year, with same size boat, over the 4th of July and say it's wonderful. I'm torn between using my boss' house and using his boat for free anytime vs. paying to go to Table Rock. In your situation Id choose Table Rock! I think I might try that this year,

See, that's what I've heard about LOTO. Someone had recommended Cricket Creek on Table Rock as being a good spot to go. 
  • Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    I grew up on both lakes.  Family has spot on table rock lake.  Partied at the ozarks on friends and other family boats.  Ozarks is CRAZY on weekends and can turn dangerous in a heartbeat, especially in a small boat.  It's a wonderful place to boat if you know the quiet areas, if there are any left, and going to bars and restaurants.

Table rock lake 100% more peaceful, places to beach your boat and cook out.  Tubing is a lot easier and being in a 232 is more than ok.  

Hands down Table Rock gets my vote.
    Post edited by 06Rinker270 on
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    No alcohol?  You mean no liquor, or no alcohol at all, including beer?
  • Options
    Sorry just checked I am wrong.  Was talking with my mother the other day and she said it was.  
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Branson is also a fun area.  From what I hear it's been improved a lot.  Again, havnt been there in years but worth checking out.  

Here is a little discussion I found when I was looking up liquor laws.  Ozarks vs TR

http://www.city-data.com/forum/springfield-branson-area/384018-lake-ozarks-vs-table-rock-lake-3.html
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    WormwoodWormwood Member Posts: 2
    Loto is where I bought my Rinker, that was in..... 1998-99? Anyway it was crazy back then could only guess how nutz it is now. Table rock has a lot of hidey hole & coves, beave fork is quiet in comparison, greers ferry is also quiet. What about bull shoals?

wormwood
  • Options
    youstolemybeeryoustolemybeer Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    I live in st Charles mo about 3 hrs from lotoz  been there once in my life and said that's too busy for me.    I'll stick with the Mississippi River in the Alton pool thank you
  • Options
    270FVFamily270FVFamily Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    Wife and I grew up on table rock, bought our 270 on LOTO but keep it at Bull Shoals I think for the same reasons you're looking for. LOTO was big even for our 270 on a weekday. Like I say we grew up on TRL but went to Bull Shoals once a few years ago and never went back. The water from Diamond City going towards the dam is just awesome, soooo clean, very little traffic and is the biggest of the 4 lakes. Even on the busiest weekends we'll only see a handful of other cruisers all day and the only water patrol I EVER see is one on July 4th if you go see the fireworks displays. I suggest Highway 125 Campground, is right where the Ferry goes across the lake and has a lot of space right on the lake, clean and out of the way and the lighthouse is pretty close, nice place to hang out underneath. Two marinas close by, mine sells 93. The campground has lots of sites, our friends just camped here last weekend and paid $10/nt including water and electric with her veterans discount. If you're looking for a beautiful place and non-touristy or busy, this is it. I've heard Beaver is nice too but haven't tried it, yet. Feel free to ask more questions. Fyi Bull Shoals straddles the MO/AR border, so sometimes you're in AR and sometimes MO when you're boating along, I have a theory that's why we see no water patrol here. I've got No Complaints! Lol

B) 2004 270 Fiesta Vee - Bull Shoals Lake, AR - 350 Mag Bravo 3

Named her "FAMILY THERAPY"