Options

Weapons

2»

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish Ray. LOL. Now that I work at the Sheriffs Dept. Well if you could only see LOL
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rowboat, read the artical on Chad, said story
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    I wonder if he had a vest on and where he got hit. 
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    What a shame Trooper Chad Dermyer R.I.P.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    partlowrpartlowr Member Posts: 119 ✭✭
    I have a friend that has a 60 foot yacht and he takes it around the world and there is a secret compartment with an small arsenal on board. He said there has been a couple occasions where he has had to draw weapons when he feared pirates were approaching him on open waters in the middle of nowhere.
  • Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    well, just for the record- 
    it's smart to know when to make a stand and when not to make a stand... your best friend in an opposed boarding circumstance is the USCG (while Caribbean) and a radio. 
  • Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    especially in a slow oil burner lol 
  • Options
    and here is a story i figure safe to share here:

a couple few years back a buddy of mine who had recently ended his contract with blackwater just to find out his wife had run off (RUNNOFT- some of you may get that?) and took the bankroll with her when she found out he was coming home needed to do something else... he was done with SWA, understandably, so- he cast a net, and this returned- 
    He was offered a job on a commercial fleet that routinely floated past known pirated waters... Somalia to be exact. (on an aside, he and I both- side by side- cut our teeth in Somalia)... he was to be armed to the max, and was to repel any attempted boarding.  the pay was astronomical... the catch? international maritime law prohibited doing precisely what he was being tasked with doing if in the case pirates attacked.  He was legally on his own if that was to be the situation.  but, the pay was good... it was so dang good, in fact, i considered it too... he recovered financially from his bad wife decision (i give him trouble about that all the time) within four months- which was the contract length with the dutch company... his wife tried to come back, and he stiff armed her- then she tried to get a share in the divorce but he already insulated himself from that (official signed sep agreement prior to taking on the contract)..   so... all is well that ends well... 

the interesting thing to me was learning of the maritime law that excludes being able to engage those intent on boarding your vessel... I mean, WTF?  I did the VBST school and practice for a spell at one point, and not once did that come up... I would never have known about it had I not looked into it, and only because of that offer my buddy secured. 
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I often carry a 9mm....more concerned about critters than people- there are some places I go that get pretty lonely and you never quite know what or who you may run across in those areas. Sometimes I think having a nice boat makes me a target as well so I watch my surroundings carefully.
  • Options
    I wonder if he had a vest on and where he got hit. 
    no.  he was in tactical uniform.  the person he approached and who shot him demonstrated no temper or intent either verbally or body language... they (shooter and Chad) had about a thirty second conversation that officers nearby (within 30 feet) observed and thought nothing of, and all of the sudden the guy produces a weapon and fires into Chad's chest... 
  • Options
    He had no chance 
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    Since I saw the final confrontation with the Great White shark in the movie "Jaws" I always keep a full scuba air tank and my M1 Garand handy.

Andy
  • Options
    DirtythirtyDirtythirty Member Posts: 393 ✭✭✭
    And why wouldn't we ? 
  • Options
    NavyCTRCNavyCTRC Member Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
    I refuse to be a victim, CC and under the pillow.  My stuff ain't worth it people...don't try.
  • Options
    Thanks for your service 
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go Navy! thanks for your service, my son was in, USS Michigan for 6 years. SSGN 727. he was a nuke
    Boat Name :