Options

The one thing I now know about doing my own repairs/service...

TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
YOU HAVE TO KNOW WHEN TO WALK AWAY AND TAKE A MENTAL BREAK!!!       Lol

currently pulled the outdrive to paint and do water tube(ugh) all bellows and gimbal bearing.  I think the water tube job got the best of me.  Not much room in the 270. Ended up having to replace drive oil thru hull fitting and hose. I currently despise E-clips, lol.
What a design!!!

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel ya! I've been doing a bunch of maintenance the past few weeks and one thing leads to another. But I can honestly say, I love it! Only because I know it's going to bring us a lot of fun  through the summer.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only substitute for owner maintenance is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

• Options
    Lol.  I hear ya MT. I often see your comments and I cant imagine what those yachts you cruise around in cost ya, lol. But, you know what they say, cant take it with you so its best to enjoy.  
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amen, and remember for many decades my friends and I crawled around upside down in our bilges as we did our own repairs and maintenance and burned and cut ourselves and dropped drives on our feet! This forum is deja vu for me! LOL
  • Options
    bigal6030bigal6030 Member Posts: 157 ✭✭
    I hate doing my own stuff

Big Al - 2006 - 270 Express Crusier

Home port: Hammond Ind.

• Options
    youstolemybeeryoustolemybeer Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    Trashman, on your 270 is that a bravo outdrive?  If so, how much of a pain is it to pull? How are you dealing with the swimdeck being so close to the top of the out drive? What are you using to lift said outdrive?  
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Trashman, I feel your pain!  I did some work in a buddy's 270.  He had an impeller shred to pieces & I removed all the hoses looking for pieces.  Definitely a tight space!  You've got a lot on your plate for sure!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    Sometimes trying to save money ends up costing more. I broke my Bravo 3 lube fitting while changing the bellows and could not even feel the through hull fitting inside on my 242, so had a shop replace it while the outdrive was off to "save money" on labor. When I installed the outdrive I cut the lube hose too short and broke the new fitting when i trimmed the drive up to trailer. Ocean Performance in Old Saybrook CT had a good laugh, and then split the cost with me to replace the fitting again. Good guys!
  • Options
    @you, bravo three.  Its not difficult at all to remove the drive.  Took me 8 mins. Drop the two trim cylinders,remove the six nuts on the upper drive and pull out about 3 in.   Undo the shift cable clip and your off! Swim platform was no issue, the jack i altered does the trick perfectly.    I used a mower jack from harbor freight, it was perfect. Check my thread i have a few pics.   @jhofmann, I snapped the tube fitting also, that repair was the most fun!!    What a job that was.  Ill never do that again,lol. 
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't mind doing my own maintenance. I like to know I'm saving $$ for gas during the summer. I did a lot of work the past few weeks and finally started her up today!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    howardramshowardrams Member Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    A buddy of mine dropped a starter motor on his face and broke 2 teeth.  Another guy I know forgot the gasket on his oil filter after changing his oil (it fell out of the groove).  He noticed it after all his new oil was in the bilge after startup.  At least he was still in his driveway.

But I also enjoy taking my time and doing all the jobs I can handle.  Crawling around engine compartments is literally a pain!