Options

Suggestion Re:Canvas..... An Opinion

Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
I realize that we are very cautious about advertising on this forum. However, since we get asked at least once a week, often more, who to go to for canvas and 99.999% of the time the guys rave about @boattech01 shouldn't we just post his service as an announcement right at the top of our header under the top two permanent "announcements". I have only heard rave reviews of this man and never anything approximating a complaint.

Comments

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    Rinker might not like that. They do sell canvas......
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rinker sells canvas? You mean purchase from others and sell on, but I'm sure it's not a major profit center for them to sell canvases to second hand boats.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    edited April 2016

@raybo3 I respectfully disagree. I do not think Rinker has any desire whatsoever nor the time to repair/replace canvas parts for older Rinkers. I'm sure they are happy to have @boattech1 take that off their plate!

BTW: When Nautic Global had to replace the entire set of "acrylic" white "coverings" that arrived on my 2014 Rinker EC 360 - which they had shipped by mistake - instead of the black canvas that was clearly marked on my order form and paid for - they did NOT make it. It was shipped from TaylorMade/Ameritex.

BTW#2 When I asked Rinker to sew me a small piece of carpet for my aft cockpit area to omit the hole for the aft table, they did so as a "favor" for all of my past business.

I really don't think Rinker has any desire to fabricate replacement canvas or carpet pieces - that just wouldn't make economic sense unless Rinker is in bad financial shape - which I really doubt.

BTW#3  What is the difference between mentioning @boattech1's name 100 times a month on this forum and posting it as an announcement?

I respectfully stand by my original recommendation.

• Options
    BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭

I'll second this idea!!

2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi
  • Options
    Everyone has an opinion and I fully respect that. Now in my opinion if I owned a website that had a forum like this and members were recommending a vendor that would be fine. A lot of vendors are recommended here. Now with that being said I would not like for one vendors to have a "Banner" or "Announcement". And I also disagree with the statement that Rinker does not sell canvas or any parts. When I bought my boat a few years back dealer replaced all my canvas and cockpit carpets and they came straight from Rinker. Like everyone I have an opinion and this is mine. BTW when I bought my boat, Randy and Kim were still running it so maybe things have changed......
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    I think we're stepping onto a slippery slope if we put TJ as a separate announcement.  Other vendors will want the same privilege.  Plus, we already mention him in the FAQ.  
  • Options
    Totally agree LaRea and that is the only point I was making....
  • Options
    .....yeah it would be a slippery slope, so slippery that Kim would slide off his chair from laughing so hard that TJ would take used canvas repair business away from Rinker. Like that would be a worry to Kim at this point. LOL
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think TJ bought a lot of inventory like GLS did.
  • Options
    wm61356wm61356 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    With all due respect, I think the point is that if you provide an "advertisement" for one vendor we are setting  a precedent and others will expect the same. 
    I like TJ and, from the comments I've read from his customers, he provides stellar service and product. So do others. Would we place a permanent banner on this site for every vendor that one (or more) of us feel we've gotten good service from? 
    And at some poi t in the future if one (or more) of us feel we didn't get good service from a vendor listed on this site, would the acknowledgment be removed? Who decides what vendors get listed and which ones do not get listed. 
    My humble opinion is that the site should be vendor neutral, and the participants can endorse whomever they like in their posts.Which ever way is decided, this is a great site and I will continue to participate regardless (unless y'all get mad at me and through me out) :)
  • Options
    wm61356wm61356 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    Oops, throw...darn speller! Lol
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well it could be vendor neutral. The flip side is that traffic can be signifantly improved with vendor support. Many, many forums out there that have vendor adverts and from what I've seen it normally benefits members. 

Yes there would need to be rules. And I suppose those rules would need to be created by the owner of the website.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Agree with @MarkB....the only reason I mention TJ is because he has been helping guys on here for years (NO other vendor mentioned on here and LOL I'm the worst offender for mentioning vendors' names - comes neat the amount of positive feedback TJ generates) ....and It would save starting a new thread every 20 minutes (ok a bit of hyperbole on my part here) to mention TJ...anyway - as the WHO said "I'm not tryin' to cause a big sensation!" :-)
  • Options
    TJ is not the only vendor that participates on the forum. I totally understand how he has helped a lot of members and is a great guy. There is coverguy, Alwags, just to name 2 more.  IMO lets just leave well enough alone and all is well. 
  • Options
    Well you are welcome to leave it alone and we are welcome to discuss it.....unless of course you don't like being disagreed with and plan to remove posts. We have held this discussion in a respectful manner, to this point and realize that the forum moderators don't have to do anything they don't want to, even if there is disagreement.
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We all know how Ray and Dream love to remove stuff. LOL
  • Options
    BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
    Michael T said:
    Agree with @MarkB....the only reason I mention TJ is because he has been helping guys on here for years (NO other vendor mentioned on here and LOL I'm the worst offender for mentioning vendors' names - comes neat the amount of positive feedback TJ generates) ....and It would save starting a new thread every 20 minutes (ok a bit of hyperbole on my part here) to mention TJ...anyway - as the WHO said "I'm not tryin' to cause a big sensation!" :-)

Agreed....Why can't we have a sticky on the top that lists vendors? I can't see the harm in that. I did a lot of reading when I first joined, and its very hard to find any vendors I thought. I can't say enough good about TJ, and would like to use other vendors, but I'm not digging through every post for info. I don't think Ive ever been on a forum that didn't have such a thing.
    2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi
  • Options
    Hey MT have I ever removed any of your posts? Did I ever say you could not discuss anything? I dont agree with everything that is posted or discussed on the forum but so be it. I do not remove posts unless its spam. If something is posted and I dont want to reply I dont. I love this forum and spend a lot of time to help keep it running good. I just dont feel we should "advertise"  vendors for a site that we dont own. I am only stating my opinion and Handy stay out of this OK.........LOL just kidding.  Look its the members of this forum that make it great and IMO would just like to keep it that way and not get into who should be advertised (lack of a better word) and who shouldn't.
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    We already have a vendor that advertises here:  the Rinker Boat Company.  Other forums show ads because they need income to pay for the site.  We are a sponsored site, so we don't need to sell ads.  IMHO, the lack of other ads is one of the best features of this site.

BTW, the FAQ already mentions several vendors including TJ, who is mentioned twice.  Would it be better to update the FAQ with a more extensive list of vendors?

I need to update the FAQ anyway, and replace all the references to Cindy.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod

Notice Ray how Handy always gets on us about him??  

Man, I go away for 10 days and there are so many topics posted, so little time to catch up on it all!  wish I didn't have to work!  But I did get the boat out last weekend!

Oh, canvas, I'm not big on posting it at the top either.  He gets lots of business on here the way it is.  & it works.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Dream I did notice that. Handy is on us like stink on you know what.......LOL
  • Options
    .....some one has to and Steve does it sooooooo well!