Options

Raw water impeller change

elarson5757elarson5757 Member Posts: 232 ✭✭
edited April 2016 in Rinker Sport Boat Forum
marina called today..2007 246CC with 178 hours.  8 years old, I bought it last summer.  As far as I know impeller/pump has never been off. 

Impeller bad and the housing tore up.  Need whole new assembly..get yours checked if you haven't already!!   Lol

How often should the impeller be changed or what else should be done to prevent the need to replace the whole housing for 400 bucks?

Comments

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My housing looked just like that.computer had pump at 8psi should be 30psi.changed housing with what al said.mine had 800 hours
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Robs_232Robs_232 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    Sand is a killer on impellors.
  • Options
    Just ordered a new Hardin stainless pump!!  
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every 2 years for impeller to be on safe side.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    You can purchase stainless plates that install in the pump body. I think they are $30 or so. This will save you some doh if you wanted to hold off on a new pump. I have a thread on here somewhere with some detail on the install. I did mine last season. 
  • Options
    You can purchase stainless plates that install in the pump body. I think they are $30 or so. This will save you some doh if you wanted to hold off on a new pump. I have a thread on here somewhere with some detail on the install. I did mine last season. 
    Pump body is already shot so installing the plates isn't something I'm comfortable with at this point.  The new Hardin pump is less than $100 more than the replacement OEM pump so it's ordered and on the way Monday. 
  • Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    Went to replace my impeller this afternoon.... Look at this mess..
  • Options
    Alswagg said:
    Plus with the harden sst pump you also get the better single flat Mercruiser impellor rattan than the double flat impellor.  
    Al can you further explain this?  Their website just seems to indicate that their pumps still use the factory impeller so is it now a Hardin impeller or can you give me more insight?
  • Options
    I forgot to mention this in my original post but the marina working on my boat found that the pump assy on my motor didn't match up with the pump part number called for based on the serial number of my motor. Not sure why that may be but interesting none the less. 

Marina indicated its not super unusual or it was off previously and replaced with one that would work but wasn't the same part number. 
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The impellor in the Hardin Marine SS pump is the 'older' single flat type. Readily available. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    The impellor in the Hardin Marine SS pump is the 'older' single flat type. Readily available. 
    Thank you... Reading the Hardin website it made it sound like it used the same impeller already in mine and I didn't know there were two styles. 
  • Options
    SS pump is definitely the way to go. I'll eventually do that. The plates would still work fine. They are essentially gasketed over the scored sections of the pump. Just FYI for those considering this as an option. 
  • Options
    Went to replace my impeller this afternoon.... Look at this mess..
    Yuck!  Was that thing still pumping water?  Or did you have a failure. Definitely flush that exchanger. 
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Replacing both my pumps with the Hardin ones. One was bad, doing both so I have only one impeller to carry as a spare. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to replace my impeller this spring. I am not looking forward to what I am going to find...
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    I have to replace my impeller this spring. I am not looking forward to what I am going to find...
    Might get lucky.  Seems like maybe the water conditions make the decision. Mine trash with 180 hours while others haven't been touched for twice that and look fine...