Options

Wiring diagram help

Attached is the wiring diagram for the swim light, if my 360 had that option.  The switch and wiring is there and now I am trying to locate the blue/lt blue wire in the engine room, which is terminated somewhere that I haven't been able to find.

If I am reading this correctly it shows that the swim light switch already has a 5amp fuse inline, correct?  I have 3 lights I am installing from coastal night lights and he recommends a 10amp fuse.  I suppose I could just swap the 5amp out for a 10 amp, no?  Or should I put an additional 10 amp fuse somewhere in the engine bay?

Also I can't seem to find a good boat wire diagram symbol key anywhere.  Perhaps you guys could help this electrical novice out.  The way I interpret this diagram is: batt switch powers the helm disty bus; helm disty bus powers a 5 amp fuse (or circuit breaker??) at the helm; orange/gry power runs from fuse through connector 9 and 10 and then directly to the toggle switch; it then changes to blue/lt blue and from 16 to 14 gauge wire; goes through connectors C11 and C21 in the helm area before making a long run back to the swim light; and then I will just ground the 3 lights to a grounding block in the engine room.  Did I do alright with what these symbols mean?

Comments

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would never swap a 10 amp fuse for a 5 amp fuse unless I was sure that the gauge of the wiring would support the extra amperage required. An electrical fire in the engine bay caused by faulty owner electrical work is a non insurable event. Many boat builders do not wire 100% over spec with their wiring which, in reality, would be what you are asking the present wiring to accept.
  • Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    Craig,
    I think that what they call the swim light is the actual light that is already installed  on your boat right above the the rear platform  below the transom locker. The wiring harness on my 300 show the same diagram.If Rinker had already installed an option for the lights you want to installed they would have used a larger breaker than 5amps and bigger wires As far has installing you new lights I think  you would need to run new wires and proper fuses or circuit breaker and switch to your dash panel. Also make sure you run the proper gauge wires.
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What about the ACC switch Paul?
  • Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    That could be used, need to check the breaker size on that switch according to Craig needs 10 amps.
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Thanks. I have a transom light as well which is what you are referring too. The swim light was an option on my boat that the original owner did not opt for. The switch is there and wired just no light. I'm surprised they used a 5amp. It sounds like I may have to run a new wire and fuse to the switch. 
  • Options
    So each light I'm installing draws 1 amp. I would think I could use that switch but the instructions say for 3 or more lights to use a 10amp. 
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    3 lights is too close to 5 amps. You could probably get away with 7.5 but all depends on wire size. This is why I own a DC amp meter
  • Options
    Well I found the 14 gauge swim light wire. It was hidden up under a loom on the port side under the transom locker. It took some serious searching. I had an extra acc fuse at the helm that wasn't used and it happened to be 10amp. So I pulled the wire from the swim light 5amp fuse and connected to the acc fuse. All is hooked up and should work. I won't know for a week or so until I hook the batteries up but fingers crossed. 
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bet it will look great. Good work finding the proper circuit, that will pay-off!