2006 Rinker 342 port engine goes into Guardian idle mode

steeledpsteeledp Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
 Hello all here is the newest problem at the end of the season our Portside engine we go into limp mode or idle mode  as we got up to plane 
temperature was good and oil pressure was good 
 I did replace the star board impeller not the Portside been told it could be neutral safety switch or a flow sensor any suggestions we could cruise on the lake at 10 to 15 mph but couldn't get up to playing without tripping The Guardian mode

Comments

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It could be a partial blockage in the water intake through the outdrive.  When it happened to mine, the symptoms were the same as yours.  The coolant temperature would stay normal, but the manifold would overheat and put the engine in limp mode.  

Some boats have dual water pickups (the ones through the outdrives, plus a separate thru-hull for each engine).  Do you have that?  
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...caramelized exhaust flapper, intake hose collapsing? First check the gauge. I'd start with its ground then the hot then the gauge itself. Put a meter on it. On my 502 under warranty, thankfully, the raw water pump was removed and the impeller replaced (it was absolutely new) then the tech was directed elsewhere until I said Whoa!!!!!!!! - new engine boys - let's not take anything more off it. Result .....wonky cheap gauge. Less than $25. IF it were mine I'd start simple and work up, less $$$$$ that way.
  • steeledpsteeledp Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    Yes I have two intakes in mine LaRea!!
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay -- with dual pickups, you can probably rule out the outdrive water hose.  

You've probably already done this, but make sure both seacocks (located in the bilge between the engines) are open.  Also, each engine should have a raw water strainer with a glass top ... look at the strainer and make sure there's water flowing.