Options

I have a 2002 27ft Fiesta Vee. Swim platform acts like a plow in the water when 5 to 7 people.

any suggestions welcome

Answers

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh Oh, we have heard this before!
  • Options
    chamberbchamberb Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    Search this forum for some ideas about shifting passengers forward, trim tabs down, and a modification you can make to the platform (if necessary) if you can't raise the platform. More info would help i.e. How much gas you had, how long you had the boat and if you have had that number of passengers on board before without any similar problems? 
  • Options
    Michael T said:
    Oh Oh, we have heard this before!
    Any chance this is powered by a diesel? :)
  • Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    I have the same exact boat... The swim platform is very low(actually is touching the water at rest). The previous owner installed larger trim tabs and I have no issues at all getting up on plane with a loaded boat(4 adults/4 kids, full fuel tank and gear). I have the 350 mag mpi horizon w/bravo 3. 
  • Options
    barrelman007barrelman007 Member Posts: 6
    Diggin2day1. What size trim tabs did you put on and what was cost. 
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My diesels weigh less than the gassers
  • Options
    My diesels weigh less than the gassers
    Nice ;)
  • Options
    DazeOffDazeOff Member Posts: 164 ✭✭✭
    I own a 2003, 270. My friends is a 2002 and his swim platform is at least 5-7 inches lower than mine with the same issue. Do you have vents cut into yours to reduce suction?
  • Options
    The previous owner put them on, not sure of cost... I'll measure them tomorrow for you. 
  • Options
    Much appreciated diggin2day1
  • Options
    Vents in platform know it's from year built. They put the platforms on like this for only 2-3 years. To low in the water for sure. Was wondering how to quick fix other then shoving everything and everybody forward to get on plane. 
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Before I tried to move the swim platform I'd look at a trim tab plate swap. IMO moving people forward may be a pita but is fine too as long as water isn't being brought into the engine bay down the walls or forced through the transom somewhere.
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same boat same problem 
    I put everyone down in cabin to get on plane
    350 horizon mag 22p props
    Thinking of hill Marine 4x4 prop $1100
    But Like to test first though 
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Mike_GMike_G Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭
    I remember from a while back.. that Rinker fixed this problem on someone's 2002.  2003+ have the swim platform mounted higher (if I remember correctly).  -=Mike G.

2014 Rinker 260EC

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes 2004 are higher
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Beautiful boat Mike!!
  • Options
    Mike_GMike_G Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭
    chamberb said:
    Beautiful boat Mike!!

Thank you sir!  I do like my little 260.  ;)  -=Mike G.

2014 Rinker 260EC

• Options
    I just ran outside in the rain to measure.... My trim tabs are 18"x12". The years 2002-2003 are the low swim platform years and I was worried when purchasing my 2002 last year that I would have planing/holeshot issues. Was just speaking with my wife about it and she brought up a day last season... We had 6 adults and 4 kids(8-12yrs old) on board and we had zero issues getting up on plane all day. 
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,461 admin
    There was a member on the old site. I think his name was No Gin that really dug into that problem with his 270FV. Problem is I do not remember what he did. I think he bought an after market platform and swapped it off. But not sure.......
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    If you really want to get crazy, contact swimplatforms.com and they'll instruct you on how to make/send them a template of your boat. They will custom make a new swimplatform for you. I used them for an extended swim platform on my old Maxum... Unbelievable product and excellent service.... But it's going to cost you upwards of $2k
    Post edited by diggin2day1 on
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, having a 2003 Al recomended on another post add a half inch to lenth of your actuator on your tabs, (put in a half inch shim) its on my list of things to do, once its out of storage. But my platform does not dig in the water. Just hopeing for better plane time. My tabs are about 12x12. this one of the reasons I joined this forum, was looking for answers to this problem.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Forgot to mention, purchased boat last Sept. I put on a hydrofoil, first, to try and solve the problem, bolt on to outdrive. It did not make any differance. Wish I had not done that. Bad idea, Don't do that. I've had them before on smaller craft with good luck. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @raybo, one of the guys on the old site trimmed the lip from the rear of the swim platform so it wouldn't scoop the water. Another guy added an angle of foam and fiberglass to the bottom of the platform to prevent the scooping of the water and he didn't need to trim the lip.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,461 admin
    @raybo, one of the guys on the old site trimmed the lip from the rear of the swim platform so it wouldn't scoop the water. Another guy added an angle of foam and fiberglass to the bottom of the platform to prevent the scooping of the water and he didn't need to trim the lip.
    Yeah I am almost sure it was No Gin. Now that you said trimming the lip thats sounds right. Thanks Greg....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    gslprogslpro Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Not sure of you cabin design, but anything you store heavy in the stern of the boat, move forward as much as you can.  Soda, water, parts, booze, anything on the heavy for size should be far forward.  If you have a v-berth, those compartments should be all filled with heavy items.  Also empty water tank and waste tank before going out with multiple people on board.

You could also look at mechanical things like does the engine need a new cap/rotor?  Prop condition and is it correct size?  Anchor locker? If you have a windlass, change out all the rope for chain.  Adding 40 lbs to the bow of a boat feels like having three people come forward to the middle when trying to get plane.  
    Gary and Diane
    290 FV Nauti Bonnie
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @diggin2day1was everyone one the back of the boat? I sure seem to have issues even if it's two adults back there with me, wife and a kid. I did change all my fuel filters and the first run was this weekend and it seemed to run better. I think the filters may have never been changed so might have been some of the problem!
  • Options
    jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    I remember this problem being discussed on this forum a couple years ago. I remember someone saying there was a retrofit kit from Rinker to mount the swim platform higher, similar to the newer 270's. The main reason I remember this is the owner was upset that Rinker would not pay for the upgrade on a 10 year old boat. Also I hope to move up from my 242 to a 270 someday, and I do most of my own work. I'm sure if you search this forums history you will find it. 
  • Options
    ruwallydogruwallydog Member Posts: 92 ✭✭
    I have an 01 340 and it has the same low platform and issues. Drove me crazy my first year with the boat and looked at everything from adding a hydrofoil or even moving-up/swapping  the platform altogether.

Similar to what Gsloro suggested...I would watch how i loaded (storage) the back end of the boat, emptied holding tank, and water when I had a full load. Fuel is another factor...I get what I need but no more. I did also add all chain road to the windlass and I load the storage under the V berth with the heavier items...put the most weight I can in the front.

Long story short is its really not an issue anymore...or at least it doesn't drive me crazy and i can definitely live with the performance.

Still like to move the platform up In the future...darn ducks poop all over it...but not too high on the priority list at this point.

Good luck!!
  • Options
    Rasbury- All adults up top and kids were all over the place. I remember coming across this same issue when I purchased the boat last December and doing some research. I asked the guy I was purchasing it from(original owners) if they experienced any issues with the platform dragging... He said that he read the same things years ago and decided to install oversized trim tabs. I honestly don't have any issues with it while planing off. It's one of the larger single-engine cruisers out there and quite a lot of mass to move with 1 small block. 

Does anyone have a measurement on the stock trim tab size? Just curious. 
  • Options
    My biggest gripe about the swim platform being that low is when I dock stern in, I have a HUGE step up(or climb up a ladder) onto the dock!