Options

Cleaning synthetic teak decking

Any tricks of the trade for getting grease/oil stains out of synthetic teak decking? I believe it was original in my '08 320, though not sure of name of the product. As you can see in the attached pic, there are some grud/grease spots (likely from me bringing it back with me on my shoes from the engine compartment/bilge) that I just can't seem to get out regardless of what kind of cleaning product I've tried. These dirty areas are worse right around the engine hatch area. Any suggestions? Thanks 

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You may be able to sand it down too
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have had amazing results with Purple Power. It's pretty strong diluted 50-50 but full strength it is amazing! the color is pretty "fast" in those synthetic decks but never use a solvent of any kind or a heavy de-greaser. A guy in Kingston used easy-off oven cleaner for the area around his BBQ and it destroyed the syn-teak. A guy nearby who sold the stuff said don't put anything on it that you wouldn't put in your mouth - I'd use Purple Power with 100% confidence but I don't think I'd put it in my mouth!!!!There'd be bubbles coming out my rear for the entire summer LOL!  ....You will get the stains off I just respectfully suggest that you be real careful what you use - maybe try a test patch?
  • Options
    Tri sodium phosphate (TSP) might work fine as Steve suggests but I'd do a test patch first. We used a lot of TSP in my construction business and it can act weird on some surfaces. I'd do a test patch if using anything other than soaps. Lots of guys on the forum have syn-teak you'll get some advice. Have you contacted any manufacturers?
  • Options
    wm61356wm61356 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    I have a similar issue, however less severe, on my 2008 320. I was told by someone from a boat dealer I talked with at the boat show in February to sand it lightly. This person said the color goes all the way through the material so it can be sanded without fear of erasing the simulated calk lines between the sections. I've never tried it though. It is on my list of things to do to contact the manufacturer but I don't know what brand synthetic teak Rinker used. If you find ant additional information on this please let me know.
  • Options
    I believe Rinker uses a brand called Versa Teak. I have been at a Rinker dealer and seen Versa teak sanded. It will change color a bit but after a while the tech said it would blend in. He was being very careful around the caulking lines.
  • Options
    walleyewalleye Member Posts: 55 ✭✭
    Thanks all. MT, no I haven't reached out to any manufacturers yet. Have been doing a little online research and have seen some sanding suggestions. Seems it would be easier to find a cleaning agent that actually works! I will give PP a try. 
  • Options
    walleyewalleye Member Posts: 55 ✭✭
    Speaking of degreaser - I was thinking of trying Goo Gone kitchen degreaser foam spray to get some dried oil mess out of my bilge. Good or bad idea? Not sure if that heavy of a cleaner / degreaser could hurt the bilge pump and/or hoses?
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Maybe magic eraser??????
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used the PP in the bilge, it woorks good, spray it on wipe it off. lots of rags
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    I'll second the purple power.  Of course in a small spot somewhere first.  I've used that stuff for years and always use it in my bilge.  After cleaning my bilge, I pour just a little in there afterwards as well. 

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express