Options

2007 Merc 350 Mag Cool Fuel System

elarson5757elarson5757 Member Posts: 232 ✭✭
Quick one to run by everyone...

Marina doing some spring work for me let me know that there was some type of bulletin on my motor based on the serial number.  The bulletin indicated that my motor may have had a painted instead of powder coated component installed from the factory as part of the cool fuel system.  Because it was painted and not powder coated, the paint is flaking off and can contaminate the fuel system and cause issues.

The bulletin (I read it myself) said they recommend that if peeling is observed the part should be replaced with an OEM powder coated one.  Marina sent me a pic...paint definitely peeling/de-laminating.

I have no idea what this is, what risk it may be, or if I should spend another $500 bucks to get it fixed.  Pic they sent is below...clearly the area is peeling paint....

Thoughts??

Eric

Comments

• Options
    bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Merc should pay.
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    @bella-vita the marina said that Merc only pays if the motor is still under warranty as its only a bulletin and not a recall.  Mine is 8 years old...
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have read other posts on here about and you might do a search and get some help. My 350 is an 05 I think, just before that came out. Aren't there two fuel filters? Is this issue after the filters?
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Yes replace it. It's a real issue. Search for "cool fuel" on this forum. Some good posts from Dream In and others on the topic. 
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016

.....double check this but I believe if the paint flecks make it past the two fuel filters of the cool fuel module and get into the fuel rails/injectors the $500 may look like a bargain....and I agree 100% with @belle-vita, mercury should pay. they are usually decent about these kinds of things and this cool fuel module issue has been well-known for a long time now. IMO

If it happened to me I would contact Mercury and ask them about accessing their goodwill customer support program - at least send me a new module gratis and I'd cover the installation or do it myself. It costs nothing to ask respectfully.

• Options
    Thanks @Michael T.  I have all the info in my hand and will give them a call in the am. The boys at the Marina soar they have been down this path with with this issue and Mercury a ton of times and have yet to get any support if it was out of warranty. That said it can't hurt to try. 
  • Options
    I'd go for a free replacement or BIG discount on parts as they don't cost Merc much. You and your buddies or the marina can replace the unit. Tell Merc you'll send the casting back if they want it. Fingers crossed!
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    yeah, I was the first to post on here about these issues.  I just sucked it up and replaced them both when I started having issues on one engine.  I've spoke with a couple mechanics and they have never been able to get Mercury to do anything about it.  you can try, but don't count on a dime!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    I literally just got off the phone after almost 40 minutes with Merc.  I got a quick no almost immediately after describing this issue although they acknowledged the issue and the bulletin. I pushed my way up the chain of command but ultimately got an absolute no.  Last guy indicated that my engine was potentially 9+ years old and although the issue is well known there would be no consideration given any longer for boats outside of their warranty period. 
  • Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    Dream.
    Better check your source on being the first one to bring that subject up..... ;) lol
    Paul
  • Options
    bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    You can't say u didn't try.
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    French, sounds like I should say one of the first. :)

• Options
    edited April 2016
    ......very disappointing!.....I guess that's how class action lawsuits get started! BTW I apologize for making a suggestion that wasted your time - I'm sorry!
    Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Fingers were crossed as I changed my filters yesterday and thankfully all looked good in there. Do you guys change that little screen as well at the bottom of the bowl inside the cool fuel unit?  I have yet but the guy at the shop said he reccomends changing them every other filter change. Mine looked clean so I let it be. 
  • Options
    Michael T said:
    ......very disappointing!.....I guess that's how class action lawsuits get started! BTW I apologize for making a suggestion that wasted your time - I'm sorry!
    No reason to be sorry...I'm glad I did it!  It was always possible that the outcome was in my favor and a few hundred bucks for less than an hours work would have been just that!

Eric

• Options
    Craig, yes you should change out the little one on the bottom as well.  That is the one that will catch all the small stuff.

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dumb question I guess as I don't have one and don't know much about them, but, once the paint is done coming off, are you good to go from there? Can you have it powdercoated rather than replace?
  • Options
    edited April 2016

Ras you might be okay but I'd still be worried that more could come off and clog your fuel delivery system. I thought someone else manufactured these - could it have been Hardin Marine? They seem to pick-up where Mercury fails?

• Options

MT, hardin did the water pumps.  I'm sure there is an off-brand, but is it worth messing with for fuel?

Ras, as far as the paint, it doesn't come off all at once.  A very small flake, like the tip of a pencil, will cause your boat to not get on plane (believe me, I've been there).  So who knows how long it would take for all the paint to go. 

• Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Pulling my module tonight to see if I have it this issue as well. @jbschmalz23 has the part numbers that a mechanic told him he would need to replace the defective parts. 
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    jme097 said:
    Pulling my module tonight to see if I have it this issue as well. @jbschmalz23 has the part numbers that a mechanic told him he would need to replace the defective parts. 
    Yea mine is now fixed already. It wasn't cheap (about 500 with labor) but I feel better. 
  • Options
    jbschmalz23jbschmalz23 Member Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
    This is what merc told me needed replaced to fix the issue. Prices attached. The top is pretty easy to take off. Haven't ordered it yet. But think I may play it safe. 
  • Options
    Wow, that is cheap.  When I did mine I replaced the entire unit for around $900 each (2 of them to replace).  that is just material price.

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boeing OT money dream? LOL
  • Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Mine looks OK I think. I pulled it when I got home from work and I think it looks good. 

Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3