Options

350 mag mpi - distributor cap replace

thmsmclthmsmcl Member Posts: 7
I have an 08 350ec , which the port engine will no longer start.  After some reading the last few days, it seems I have been lucky to this point as the dist caps I have in the boat, have quite a few hours on them.

While I'm not 100% sure the cap is my issue, it sure seems like a good item to replace next regardless .

I have the flat crab style caps under a metal bracket 

My question is this, are there any write ups on this forum for steps and things to look out for when doing a replacement? I did a quick search before making this post, as it is a common issue I had assumed it t had already been written up for someone like me who has some degree of apprehension about not wanting to screw it up.

Did I miss this topic? If not anyone have any tips for me?

Best 
Thomas 
Austn Tx

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its strange that the port engine will not start at all. Look at your kill switch, maybe it got bumped off by accident. If that's not the issue it could be your shift interrupt switch, might need adjustment.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    ....engine fuse/breaker? What about your ignition key switch I had one fail from use on a 1994 model.
  • Options
    Robs_232Robs_232 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

If the kill switch was the issue wouldn't that affect both engines? Since I only have one engine I'm speculating.

Sounds like a spark or fuel problem. I would check spark from coil first. If you have spark from the coil I would check several plugs as this cap has had issues with crossfire between cylinders. I have this in my 232. However, if you don't have spark from coil it could be a tripped breaker like MT mentioned. The main breaker is a big red button by the throttle body on top of the engine. If it isn't the breaker it could be a bad coil, but check to make sure you have power to this coil.

Just something to check.

Rob

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI