Options

Which prop to use, please help!

2»

Comments

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd be guessing on the diameter of that 23" pitch. I think you might be okay with a 21" pitch? I think a 19" might be too little. Do you have a dealer that will let you try props for a fee or for free as long as you buy one?
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it's not to be blamed on "Five Blades"... it's to be blamed on the geometry of the "High Five"... it is inferior to several other five bladed props.  

the ron hill:

high five:

notice the trailing edge's overlap (or lack of) the leading edge of the next blade on the high five as opposed to the pleasure five.  I've had both of these props (still have and ain't parting with the P5), and that difference worried me about the P5 when I first laid eyes on it... I 'think' this is where the P5 takes advantage, as well as the HUGE width of the blades (the high five is considerably smaller across the blades)... the trailing edge of the P5's blades extends further up the barrel of the hub, providing much more (relative to the H5) surface area for bite. 

in turns, my boat is PLANTED.  It DOESN'T lose bite in any circumstance... in reverse, the P5 bites just as hard as it does in forward.  in strong following seas there is no sensation of skimming or being chased- a bit more throttle than normal, and it feels no different than running across still water.  I've not encountered a four or a three blade prop that can match it... though the H5 has similar hole shot, it falls flat shortly thereafter, where the P5 maintains command throughout every range. 

this is simply the difference in geometries... both were stainless, and both were rated at the same pitch.  the P5 is 14 1/8th inch in diameter where the H5 was 13 3/4" in diameter... that, and the progressive bend of pitch across the blade is different, and the P5 has cupping so significant that it will hold a bead of water on it if you hold the prop in your hand and near until you turn that blade to five'ish oclock.  The P5 has no vents, but I 'think' this is where the overlapping blades come in, and solely on the hole shot- the water is disrupted and already moving, allowing the region where the water cuts off the blade to move into a higher pitch much quicker and much smoother than most traditional less bladed props, and allows you to spin a prop a few pitches higher w/o the need for vents.  

I'm tellin' y'all, don't dismiss five blades because of the H5... the P5 will make a believer out of you. 

• Options
    mennomennesmennomennes Member Posts: 16
    it's not to be blamed on "Five Blades"... it's to be blamed on the geometry of the "High Five"... it is inferior to several other five bladed props.  

the ron hill:

high five:

notice the trailing edge's overlap (or lack of) the leading edge of the next blade on the high five as opposed to the pleasure five.  I've had both of these props (still have and ain't parting with the P5), and that difference worried me about the P5 when I first laid eyes on it... I 'think' this is where the P5 takes advantage, as well as the HUGE width of the blades (the high five is considerably smaller across the blades)... the trailing edge of the P5's blades extends further up the barrel of the hub, providing much more (relative to the H5) surface area for bite. 

in turns, my boat is PLANTED.  It DOESN'T lose bite in any circumstance... in reverse, the P5 bites just as hard as it does in forward.  in strong following seas there is no sensation of skimming or being chased- a bit more throttle than normal, and it feels no different than running across still water.  I've not encountered a four or a three blade prop that can match it... though the H5 has similar hole shot, it falls flat shortly thereafter, where the P5 maintains command throughout every range. 

this is simply the difference in geometries... both were stainless, and both were rated at the same pitch.  the P5 is 14 1/8th inch in diameter where the H5 was 13 3/4" in diameter... that, and the progressive bend of pitch across the blade is different, and the P5 has cupping so significant that it will hold a bead of water on it if you hold the prop in your hand and near until you turn that blade to five'ish oclock.  The P5 has no vents, but I 'think' this is where the overlapping blades come in, and solely on the hole shot- the water is disrupted and already moving, allowing the region where the water cuts off the blade to move into a higher pitch much quicker and much smoother than most traditional less bladed props, and allows you to spin a prop a few pitches higher w/o the need for vents.  

I'm tellin' y'all, don't dismiss five blades because of the H5... the P5 will make a believer out of you. 

And what's the prize of such blade (P5)?
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    they're around $450 if I recall correctly.. 
  • Options
    mennomennesmennomennes Member Posts: 16
    they're around $450 if I recall correctly.. 

Check! I think by the way, by looking at these pictures again, a photo says more then a thousand words! The P5 looks much more shaped, smooth and curved, where the H5 is pretty much more straight forward and rough. I think I'm starting to get the point ;-)