Starting procedures

i have a question for the owners of 2005 fiesta 270. How do you start your boat? Do you give the throttle a few forward burst to get the fuel pumping? I have a 350 MPI I believe, and I believe it is fuel injected.  It seems to start better after a few pumps on the throttle with it in the button pushed in position to get it a few revs without engaging transmission. But if it is fuel injected this should not be necessary correct? Thanks

Comments

• MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome. First off, you don't need to just compare to 2005 fiesta 270 owners. The 350 MAG is the same on any other boat.

1) Run blower for a few minutes.

2) Start engine in neutral, at idle rpms.

3) Do not increase RPMs, especially right after start. Want to give things a chance to get lubricated. 

4) Wait for temp to rise to about 100F, and then go.

So, based on your question, I presume you are having problems if you try starting in neutral and keep it at idle rpms?  Please explain what happens.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    be sure its in the water of on a hose!
    Boat Name : 

• laureniac1laureniac1 Member Posts: 253 ✭✭✭
    Mark thanks for great response. I'm actually having no troubles at all with starting boat. I was just curious if others are using the neutral throttle shift to get RPMs up without having boat in gear. It male complete sense when you say don't give RPMs right at the start.
  • 06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    I have same motor, it is fuel injected, and don't rev up before starting.  I follow Marks procedures to a T.  In addition I sniff the flower for fumes.  Also use blower for about 4-5 minutes.

Now the time I did push button(there is a correct name for it but forget) was when I was having some engine trouble and this gave me the extra boost to get started.  But now all is good, she starts like a dream.  Even after sitting for 4 months.
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    You are correct, you should not have to give throttle to start the boat.  I had a 2002 310 and it was MPI and never had to touch the throttle. Current boat as well I've never had to.  It's possible you could need a few adjustments.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Thanks so much for advise. Sound like run the blower for a few and turn key.

• Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    As far as engine temperature I would wait until the engine temp has reached it's limit for idling. Takes about 5+ minutes. That way all of the internal parts are more in sync. For my 350s and 502s that was about 165 degrees at idle. I friend who has been building race engines since the 70s says the worst enemy of any engine is taking-off too soon, before it has reached its idle operating temperature and that the new "thinking" that engines warm-up in a couple of minutes is B.S. and BTW the temperature gauge does not tell you the internal synch of the metal parts.....but as he says go for it, more business for him.
    Post edited by Michael T on
  • 69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 948 ✭✭✭
    It literally does nothing to "pump the throttle" on a fuel injected engine before starting. 
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It literally does nothing to "pump the throttle" on a fuel injected engine before starting. 
    Correct. Think of it this way, everyone with fuel injected cars don't go and pump the gas pedal before they start. 
    2008 330EC
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    I turn my key to the "run" position and when the fuel pump stops then I start the engine. I never touch the throttle. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    10-4 to that- I did notice on mine this weekend, I was warming at the dock and it was taking forever for everyone to get down to the dock so I shut it off. When I went to restart, it cranked over but did not immediately fire up- I advance the throttle and hit the key and it started, not sure then it did any good to advance it.
  • 06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    Then the push button with a little forward throttle is to give it a little extra rev if the motor is having a hard time firing up.  Correct?  
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • 212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that is simply to rev while in neutral... nothing to do with starting a MPI engine... there are various reasons why you'd want to do that... one could be getting the alternator off idle if there is a load on the electrical system... another may be to hasten warm up... another may be to achieve higher RPM while doing something like setting timing... but that is all that button does- it removes the shift cable from unison with the throttle.  
  • Goods28Goods28 Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    replace the idle control valve and it will start everytime without the throttle advanced.Part is a little over 100 bucks
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    @Michael T agreed, I was trying to remember where it stablizes without load. I think it's around 100F, maybe a touch higher.  But my memory could be totally wrong, my boat's been away for too long!

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ......@MarkB ...ain't that the truth brother. It was -6 and snowing here today ....whiskey, tango foxtrot.
    Thank you everyone for the feedback