HUH????? water pump worked before

youstolemybeeryoustolemybeer Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
Hey all, 1994 Fiesta vee 265 with the 454 bravo. Before I put the boat on the trailer the boat ran fine, and the impellor pump cooled the boat. Now that I put the boat back in the water, the impellor is not pumping water. I did nothing to the engine while it was out of the water. It was out of the water 4 days What happened?
thanks

Comments

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gotta open up that pump to see.  Maybe the impeller failed right before you trailered the boat, or when you put her back in the water.  
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you happen to run the boat out of the water without supplying water? If yes, you could have ruined the impeller.
    2008 330EC
  • ChesapeakeChillerChesapeakeChiller Member Posts: 98 ✭✭
    If the impeller or the housing was worn it could have worked fine and now having trouble getting primed since it was out of the water. Maybe sucked in some sand or something.

2004 Cruisers Yachts 320 W/6.2L I/B's

Boat Name- Anchor Management, Mayo MD

• MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm guessing the impeller catastrophically failed. It was together when you ran last, you turned the engine back on and kabust!

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• youstolemybeeryoustolemybeer Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    Ill find out saturday and let you know. 
    Impeller was shot as well as the housing.  From now on I'm just going to buy the whole impeller kit.   It would save me a trip back to west marine 
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YSMB... great plan - Al's point about rounding-up the remnants of that impeller is golden as those remnants have become a pita to guys I know. It's better to get them now that have to abort a cruise later!
    I think that the dealers should only sell the impeller kits not just the impeller.   Every dang time I go to replace the impeller the housing is all ground up.  And then I have to go back and get the housing.  
    As for the impeller pieces. I ran the bejeezus out of the boat yesterday  for about 2 hours.  I think all the parts are out
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found a kit with revised impeller and shims for the brass body, ran all year last year with no issues, 100 bucks.
    edited April 2016
    @Alswagg I trailer my boat, not sure I could deal with all the issues of having a boat in the water- whole different ballgame to keep up with like crap growing in lines from your thru hulls-
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    rasbury said:
    @Alswagg I trailer my boat, not sure I could deal with all the issues of having a boat in the water- whole different ballgame to keep up with like crap growing in lines from your thru hulls-
    That's why you keep it on a lift! :)  (Handy now knows what I mean!)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    IMO I would never trailer a boat again. Too much hassle at ramps and takes up too much time. I love the fact I drive to my boat (less than 10 mins from the house) unzip the canvas and I am done........ I cant put a lift where I am so be it. Not to much of a problem keeping her in the water for 6 months. Love it.....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love driving home, pulling into the garage and pressing an up button. Kind of like an elevator LOL
  • bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    When I had a smaller boat and kept it out of water I didn't use it nearly as much as when I kept it in the water.not many lifts around my area,but that would be nice it would be even better if it was in my yard I guess I can dream for now.
    2002 Rinker FV 342
    Most of my comment is based on funds- hauling to bottom paint, scrape, slip fees etc. I just flat can't afford it. Plus I do not want to be locked into my boating area. For some of you, you don't have that choice as there may be "limited" waters to tow to- that's a whole different deal. I think FL has more water than land!
    rasbury said:
    Most of my comment is based on funds- hauling to bottom paint, scrape, slip fees etc. I just flat can't afford it. Plus I do not want to be locked into my boating area. For some of you, you don't have that choice as there may be "limited" waters to tow to- that's a whole different deal. I think FL has more water than land!
    I feel I have to comment on your statement because I literally had the same conversation with a buddy on Monday.
    Since we do our own work, bottom painting is done for pennies compared to having the marina do it,  And its only done every 3 years or so.
    Slip fees at 2k a year that breaks down to 166 a month. IF you trailer then you need a truck, and I aint never seen a truck payment that low and then you have to pay insurance and ramp fees, remember you get what you pay for. Around here (st louis) there is a free ramp, it dumps you right in the main channel of the Mississippi and if you screw up putting the boat on the trailer you get to learn gel coat repair.
    As for being stuck in a body of water. True, buuuuuttt I really dont want to trailer a 27 foot long boat anyway
     As far as the thru hulls are concerned... they are going to leak either in a slip or on a trailer, the trick is to keep an eye on them
    The reason why I am posting this is because you said that you simply can not afford to do it, I used to think the same thing until I did a cost break down. The money is in your bank account, you just gotta find it. 
    Im off my soapbox now
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    .....yeah but it was a good soap box!