Options

Rinker 260 VHF marine radio

Hi,

I need to re-program the VHF-marine radio with an ATIS-code.

Can anyone tell me where the marine-radio is located ? (is it located behind the white microphone ? do I need to take out the soundspeaker under the white microphone ?)

Thanks for information

Comments

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like your microphone is the radio judging by the buttons I see. What's the make and model?

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    It is located behind the captain chair in that storage compartment. Mine is mounted in the exact same spot. 
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    Lady DanaLady Dana Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    the microphone is a Standard Horizon Ram+
  • Options
    @jme097 : I will take a look, so underneath the passenger-seat just behind the captain chair ?
    Thx
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Some marine radios have a limited number of times you can re-program the MMSI number.  You'll want to look at the manual for the radio....once you find it.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    IF you can not re-program the MMSI the factory may give you a special clear code if your unit will accept it, if not it would have to be shipped back to the factory for the re-set...in which case a new unti on sale might be less expensive.
    Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options
    Hi, it is not the MMSI code that I need to program but the ATIS code, obligatory in Belgium
  • Options

Your VHF may not have AIS capability.

Many VHF units in North America now have automatic DSC but many models do NOT have AIS, so it would depend when and where it was purchased and what model you have. I would look your model up on the internet or contact the manufacturer if there is doubt.

For example you can purchase a Raymarine 260 VHF for $699.99 without AIS or for $999.99 with AIS.

• Options
    Hi, it is not AIS but ATIS .

ATIS means :  Automatic Transmitter Identification System
  • Options

@LD In Europe it may be called ATIS but here, In North America, it is called AIS which means Automatic Identification System.

In North America when a VHF with AIS is connected to a Radar or GPS/Chartplotter it sends out an identification signal. 

It sounds to me like we are talking about the same type of system, just with different initials.

Again, your model and make numbers should tell you if your VHF has that capability.

The head unit that your handset is connected to should have that information for you.

• Options

@LD, you may wish to "google" standard horizon units. I did and there are a lot of models, some with AIS and some without.

It looks like your RAM+ handset is an older unit that is no longer in production, although replacements are available. As you probably know the R stands for remote control of the head unit. 

BTW Standard Horizon refers to their identification system as AIS. It looks like your RAM+ is the hand held "handset", as I suspected, and is compatible with a number of different Standard Horizon head units of different capabilities and wattages.

From what I have read your Ram+ hand set should be compatible with an AIS equipped head unit if the head unit is AIS capable.

I recommend that you find out what head unit you have, then you will know if it has AIS.

If it has AIS but you are unable to program it, then I recommend that you look-up the contact information for Standard Horizon and call or e.mail them as I have found, over the years, for them to be very helpful.

• Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    @Lady Dana it is directly in back of the captains chair against the wall of the starboard side. 
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3