Options

246 Vent Covers

elarson5757elarson5757 Member Posts: 232 ✭✭
Both vent covers on my '07 246CC were cracked and breaking at every single screw hole.  As a result I ordered replacements to the tune of $498 bucks and they apparently are now fiberglass instead of plastic with reinforcement strips on the back.  

Took them both off tonight and every **** factory hole is chipped out and/or cracked the gel coat around it.  Not one had a chamfer on it. 

May have to fill them all with 5200 anyway as the new covers come without holes and I have no idea how one would go about drilling holes in the covers to line up with what's on the boat...

Might be time for a professional vs filling and drilling new....

Comments

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You will have to drill/hone those cracks out all the way until you find good gel coat or they will continue to crack. It's unbelievable that those holes would not have been countersunk. Some lazy as*h*le not doing his job!
  • Options
    earl1z19earl1z19 Member Posts: 333 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    I had an 07' 246 and it had the same issues. Around the vents and around the dash as well.  You will also see the same lack of a chamfer around the speaker holes as well. My guess is that they just didnt do that additional step anywhere in their process.
    Pull off a snap on the boat and I bet its doesn't have the chamfer or any caulking!
  • Options
    earl1z19 said:
    I had an 07' 246 and it had the same issues. Around the vents and around the dash as well.  You will also see the same lack of a chamfer around the speaker holes as well. My guess is that they just didnt do that additional step anywhere in their process.
    Pull off a snap on the boat and I bet its doesn't have the chamfer or any caulking!
    Absolutely true. I just pulled ALL of the snap in carpet snaps and every one was chipped and had no chamfer. 
  • Options
    DZDZ Member Posts: 55 ✭✭
    Those vent covers are the worst components on a 246. Cheap, brittle plastic, and they seem like an afterthought. Have replaced a couple screws on our '06, and they're holding together so far. Hate the idea of spending $500 to replace them, and then having to deal with how to attach the new ones.
  • Options
    DZ said:
    Those vent covers are the worst components on a 246. Cheap, brittle plastic, and they seem like an afterthought. Have replaced a couple screws on our '06, and they're holding together so far. Hate the idea of spending $500 to replace them, and then having to deal with how to attach the new ones.
    I get it believe me.  As for my new fiberglass ones I see no way to drill the holes in the same spots.  They would have to be perfect and it would never work. 

Given the the holes are covered I'm thinking clean up the existing holes, fill them with 5200 and start over with new holes WITH chamfers this time in different locations. 
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @elarson5757....I respectfully suggest that if you can countersink or even drill (with the bit turning in reverse) the end of the crack you should stop its spread. If left untreated it will almost surely continue.
  • Options
    Michael T said:
    @elarson5757....I respectfully suggest that if you can countersink or even drill (with the bit turning in reverse) the end of the crack you should stop its spread. If left untreated it will almost surely continue.
    Absolutely.  I wasn't clear but in indicating I was going to clean them up before filling that is my intent.  
  • Options
    Make yourself a cardboard template of the existing holes and see how they would match up on the new vent. If they line up then transfer the marks and drill them out. If its going to be a mess then start from scratch. Fill them and mark for new holes.
  • Options
    earl1z19 said:
    Make yourself a cardboard template of the existing holes and see how they would match up on the new vent. If they line up then transfer the marks and drill them out. If its going to be a mess then start from scratch. Fill them and mark for new holes.
    Yea these covers are curved both directions and irregular shaped.  The mounting points are also on different planes.  Argh....
  • Options
    Don't leave out the option of making a stainless bracket of sorts that is bonded to the back side of the vent  and attached to the hull with thrubolts. It would be a challenge to do but might end up better than a bunch of penetrations .
  • Options
    earl1z19 said:
    Don't leave out the option of making a stainless bracket of sorts that is bonded to the back side of the vent  and attached to the hull with thrubolts. It would be a challenge to do but might end up better than a bunch of penetrations .
    Yea that would be a good idea but tough to pull off with the size, shape, location, etc.  in the end it won't be an issue with the new covers as they are not much thicker, stronger, and fiberglass instead of thin plastic.