Options

What is this says the noob?

ok...what is this on the bow of my 246 and why?  Some kind of vent I assume?

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe that's your drain for your anchor locker.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    Quit it.  You're just showing off the mirror shine on that hull.  For crap sake, I can see myself in the fitting.

Aside from that, I agree with @aero3113.
  • Options
    elarson5757elarson5757 Member Posts: 232 ✭✭
    edited April 2016
    LaRea said:
    Quit it.  You're just showing off the mirror shine on that hull.  For crap sake, I can see myself in the fitting.

Aside from that, I agree with @aero3113.
    That square is about the only shiny spot.  Looks like heII after winter and I need some professional help on the black above the rub rail.  

Thanks guys!!!

Post edited by raybo3 on
  • Options
    HamdogHamdog Member Posts: 247 ✭✭
    Yep. I agree. Anchor Locker drain. Can I use it to style my hair?
    "Wetted" Bliss 2005 Rinker 342 - Black Hull - Twin Mercruiser 350 Mags - BIII's
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    As a matter of fact, this might be a good time to pull out the entire anchor rode and rinse out that locker -- just to make sure the water comes out of that drain rather than into the boat.
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    As a matter of fact, this might be a good time to pull out the entire anchor rode and rinse out that locker -- just to make sure the water comes out of that drain rather than into the boat.
    Exactly.  I need to pull the entire anchor and rope out anyway.  The boat was new to me last summer and the one time I pulled the anchor I noticed it wasnt in great shape.  New rope and new chain are in order. 
  • Options
    Mike_GMike_G Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭

If you're pulling the rode out.. might be a good time to add some chain.  I only got ~8 feet of chain with my boat.  The rest was just rope.

I see you have a keel guard on that boat... how's that working out for you?  -=Mike G.

2014 Rinker 260EC

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    If you are pulling the rode all out, I'd recommend soaking the entire line in a 5 gallon bucket with a little Downy detergent.  After a few hours, remove it and rinse off well with a hose.  This will not only clean it, but soften it.  I did see someone on here against it saying not to use chemicals and such, but I've done it many times with success.  It helps the line feed back in better as well.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    chamberbchamberb Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    Dream_Inn said:
    If you are pulling the rode all out, I'd recommend soaking the entire line in a 5 gallon bucket with a little Downy detergent.  After a few hours, remove it and rinse off well with a hose.  This will not only clean it, but soften it.  I did see someone on here against it saying not to use chemicals and such, but I've done it many times with success.  It helps the line feed back in better as well.

Great tip, thanks! I haven't been able to even look inside my new Rinker yet..... BUT..... sunny weather is finally here, shrink wrap is coming off on Friday!! :)
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also while you have it out you can put markers on the rode so you know how many feet your letting out.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Mike_G said:

If you're pulling the rode out.. might be a good time to add some chain.  I only got ~8 feet of chain with my boat.  The rest was just rope.

I see you have a keel guard on that boat... how's that working out for you?  -=Mike G.

Mine has chain on it but it's not vinyl coated like I have had in the past. 

Anchor in this boat is a pain in the **** because you really need to take it out of the locker and pass it under the rail before you let it go...
  • Options
    Great suggestions you all have!!  Thanks guys!!!
  • Options
    Mike_G said:

@Mike_G I actually just had the keel guard installed last week so it hasn't seen water.  

I can testify first hand to it however as I've watched my buddies beach their boats using the same brand/color for years.  They work awesome and somehow do not get chewed up.  That said we are carefully about beaching only on sand with little or no rock fines in it....

I beached every weekend last summer and showed no scratches on my keel but better safe than sorry.  
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    aero3113 said:
    Also while you have it out you can put markers on the rode so you know how many feet your letting out.
    I painted a 6 inch yellow and red strips on my chain in 5' increments so I know how close the anchor is to the boat. I know that I have 3 yellow strips and 3 red strips and a yellow strip is closest to the anchor.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!