Options

The Back Story

Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

It will come as no surprise to anyone on this forum of the great esteem with which Al is held in boating circles but you may find the back story to the unique helm location of my Axius joystick on our 2014 EC 360, "interesting".

As many of you know we had a 2013 Rinker EC 310. It had a helm mounted Axius joystick. We loved that location. We could stand at the helm and have a complete 360 degree view around the boat for manoeuvering in fairways or while docking. It was also a good location for comfortable use while sitting. Just out of interest while visiting marinas I started to look at boats with Axius. It seemed to me like all of the new cruisers were coming with helm mounted joysticks whether Mercury or Volvo.

When we sold our 2013 EC 310 and bought a 2014 EC 360 I ordered the Axius Premium (of course). Then one night I said to the Admiral, "Where the h*ll is the Axius joystick located on a 360." Unfortunately I already knew the answer! Geez, did I ever get a case of the cold sweats! Within two days I was sitting in one going.....OH SH*T, I have to bend over to touch that joystick and I can't see a friggin' thing!

Okay calm down and think. I took measurements all over the helm, trying, in desperation, to find a potential location. I thought I might have an answer. So, in a flash of panic induced brilliance I called Al. Although it was a busy work day he took time to talk with me, (sorry Steve I guess he just likes me more than you ....LOL ....you know I'm kidding.....sort of). Anyway, Al said "sure it can be done, yes the starboard drink holder would likely fit. Have you measured it"

Then the money shot from Al. "Tell Randy if the guys at the factory can't see the way to do it I'll come and do it."

Oh man, I knew that would seal the deal. 

I called Randy. He was great and said if they could they would but he didn't want a half-as*ed job leaving the factory. I agreed. I said if the factory guys have problems Al said he will come and do it. He said Al who? I said, THE Al.

Randy e,mailed back that yes they could put it where the starboard cup holder was supposed to go.

When it arrived - YES it did look OEM..... and most important of all I could stand on that extra high raised helm platform of the EC 360s, with that joystick on the helm and see 360 degrees around what is a pretty big cruiser.

While I have to thank Randy and certainly appreciate what he did for me, I know that Al played a huge part in that happening by demonstrating his confidence.

At the time Al wouldn't accept payment for his advice. To my discredit I forgot about it and didn't follow-up. I should have, as Al's advice is his intellectual property, from training and experience and it is a very valuable commodity.

So my next order of business will be to send Al a bank draft for some real draft :-) as he earned every penny of it.

I hope you guys find this an interesting "back story" regarding a true event and a good man, Al.

Comments

• Options
    BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
    Awwsome! ! This forum really is a HUGE wealth of knowledge and people 
    2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod
    Good story, but you know (for those that haven't seen it), a picture added to this discussion of where it would've been and where it actually is would make the story perfect.  :)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    @DI I can do that!....but if anyone googles Rinker EC 360 they can see the joystick where it normally is .....waaaay down on the starboard side armrest then look waaaay up on the helm where the starboard cup holder is and that's where it is. I have posted many pictures of the new location and pictures of the normal position can be seen anywhere that a "normal" EC 360 is shown!
  • Options
    Mike_GMike_G Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭

See!  More cool stories and info from Mr. T.

We need people like you, and Al of course to stick around.  Maybe you can post some pics and stories from your future travels once in a while???  B) -=Mike G.

2014 Rinker 260EC

• Options
    @Mike-G, thank you Mike, you're too kind. Oh yeah, I will certainly keep checking-in. I'll have to wean myself off the forum slowly or I'll end-up in the hospital with withdrawal! LOL  I'm not sure if the guys want to see pictures of scuba diving...but if I can find a Rinker on my travels, well...........