Options

AC Wont pump?

Hey folks, 

So glad to find this forum, was seriously missing RBO. 

Now on to my question. I have a 2005 270 with factory AC. It turns on fine and it sounds like the pump is kicking on but I dont get any discharge overboard, so obviously no water is flowing. When I drop the strainer bowl, water flows in steadily from the thru-hull and even ensuring the strainer is full I still dont get any water discharging over the side. Not sure what is going on. Maybe the pump is dead? Know any good tricks to confirm if it is loss of prime or a bad pump? Anything else I should be checking? 

Thanks and looking forward to the responses and input. 

-Nick 

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could use a hose and run the water backwards and see if it flows out the strainer (opened) as a start, does not sound like loss of prime issue.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    browncbr1browncbr1 Member Posts: 55 ✭✭
    I have the same boat.  The AC is programmable.  The default setting is to cycle the pump instead of leaving it on continuously.  You really should find the manual for the AC.  There were two versions of AC on this boat.  IF yours is like mine, you hold the power button down when the AC is turned off, then it goes into program mode.   then, push the fan button until it goes to "P12"...  then press the up arrow to "ON"... this sets the program to leave the pump on continuously..   ;)
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    You could also try opening the strainer while the pump is running and see if its trying to pump. If you get a sucking sound then the pump is trying to pump if not then maybe pump is bad. Good luck and keep us posted.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    ithacarinkithacarink Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    thanks guys, 

I will run down there at lunch and try the programming mentioned above since I dont hear any suction when i pull the strainer off. 

OK stupid question time.... it supposed to pump on heat or cool cycle right (assuming it is set to run continuously)?  

thanks
  • Options
    Pump should run heat and cool. Try the back flush and see if water is getting to the stainer. May have a clog.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod
    My bet is bad pump found the best price on that pump @ Westmarine if that's it get back with me I have a tip on changing it out.
    http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=92680&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=50667&subdeptNum=50673&classNum=50674#.UYe9PLWsiSo

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
  • Options
    Boatin BillBoatin Bill Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    Needs Prime, disconnect the hose were it connects to the strainer. (make sure the valve is off to the thru hull). take a garden hose with the spray atachment on it. Stick it in the 1" hose and turn and hold it on while somebody turns on the AC unit. Pump will kick in and pull the water.Have other person turn off AC once pumping starts. Stop water from hose and hook back up. Turn ball vave back on from thru hull.
  • Options
    program it... .. if it doesn't pump when P12 is programmed ON, then you have a problem.. otherwise, it is normal for the pump to turn on and off when the AC or heat is on as the default program.. 

trust me.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,562 mod
    edited May 2013
    well, I was off boating and didn't see this till now, but my bet is definitely on prime as Bill mentioned!  I have this problem every time I raise my boat on the lift and forget to close the seacock.  Best thing is to make sure the seacock is open and go for a ride.  That will get water up in there.  you can have it right at the filter and still not syphon it in, believe me!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    ithacarinkithacarink Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    Many thanks gents. And sorry to say it Boomer, I am glad you were wrong. 

I apologize for not being particularly scientific so I don't think I can identify exactly if it was a prime or a programming issue. I did run the boat on the lake yesterday and then at lunch today programmed it to run continuously (P12 On as Brown suggested). Turned the AC back on and the pump started flowing, so not sure which one did it... dont care really :) just happy it works. 

thanks again. 
    :D
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    glad it's running.  you may find you need to clear the strainer more often with that setting.  I consider this mode as similar to Econ mode on a window unit... it cools, but seems to minimize use of system resources, so it might not be quite as cool..... .. don't worry, the first time it happened to me, i thought the pump went out, and my father promised me it was that the system wasn't purged of air... but I just read the manual and found all the programming options...  ;)  imagine that...  reading the manual actually works!  haha
  • Options
    BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod
    Glad I was WRONG
    :-* :)

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
  • Options
    nerg54nerg54 Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    This is an old thread but I'm glad it's here I'm having same issue on my 280ec going to try take for a ride see if it works if not then the programming 
    thanks all
  • Options
    @nerg54 is the pump turning on? Most likely its a priming issue...
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a T fitting between the AC hose running from the seacock to the AC filter with a ball valve.  Occasionally I'll see either the AC isn't working that good or will get an error on the thermostat.  All I do is open the T'd ballvalve and kind of burp any air out of the system and then everything works fine.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    WildboatingWildboating Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    Close the seacock. Take the output side off the pump and slowly open the seacock until water comes out of pump.   Close the seacock and reattach the hose to the output of the pump.  Turn the ac back on and confirm you have water discharge.  
    2003 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee, 350 Mag MPI, Bravo 3 2.20:1 w/ 22p 4 x4 props

• Options
    WildboatingWildboating Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    Haha. Never mind. This is 4 years old. 
    2003 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee, 350 Mag MPI, Bravo 3 2.20:1 w/ 22p 4 x4 props