Big Dinghy, who has one and how do you hold it

craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
 :o
 We are debating on going to something around 10-11' this year (rib bottom) with a big motor (8 - 15hp). I'm a bit nervous about putting this much weight on the swim platform of our 360. And having a system that doesn't take up the whole platform. How have you guys fastened your dinghys and motor without worrying about it while under way?  Picts welcome. 
Post edited by craigswardmtb on

Comments

• elarson5757elarson5757 Member Posts: 232 ✭✭
    I thought this post was going a whole different direction.  That said I thought I was qualified to respond. 
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I put on a Hurley H3O davit. 9.5AL AB RIB with 9.9hp merc. If you have the room, I highly recommend it. I can load/unload my dinghy single handed even in 2'+ seas. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
    I do have a Trick Davit system for sale in anyone is interested. Used 1 season. Willing to sell it for anything reasonable. About $900 new. Slight mods to it, but basically the same still. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • elarson5757elarson5757 Member Posts: 232 ✭✭
    I thought this post was going a whole different direction.  That said I thought I was qualified to respond. 
    I know, I know...I had to be "that guy".  Lol
  • JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    Aahaha nice
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • wm61356wm61356 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    Black_Diamond, I have a 10' Raider RIB with a 15 HP mercury outboard. Would the system you are selling work with that set-up? I would be attaching the system to my 320. The boat has a pretty big swim platform.
  • craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Does the trick system fold away somehow or does it occupy most of the platform?  That hurley system looks slick. Why did you switch?
    Answers to above:

Trick Davit: 

The arms do come off easily, just a pin.  You are left with the 'pads' on the platform.  They are rounded, so not a huge toe hazard.  I switched as it was near impossible for me to pull up my dinghy without a second person.  I think the height of the platform off the water for my 342 was a big deal, the other is that the AB dinghy has a deep-V hull, deeper than a fiberglass RIB, it just did not sit right on it either due to that.  The V hull also meant the dinghy had to be at a BIG angle to pull it up.  Just a bad combo for the boat/dinghy.  I think with an airdeck or a more traditional bottom on a RIB it would work fine...and lower to the water!

Hurley:

I am positive this would work with the 10' RIB/motor.  Mine is 9.5' and the 9.9 2-stroke.  It is a breeze to launch/retrieve.  They have a worksheet on their site to look at the mounting requirements.  My platform is 34" and works fine plus I still have room to move around the platform with the dinghy on board.  Less wind drag with the dinghy horizontal (over the Weaver type) too.  I keep the outboard on too.  The whole mounting system comes off with (2) pins and you can get (2) plastic pieces to slide over the mounting points to stop a toe stubber too.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BD is that your boat?  Looks like it is way down from the dock, is that because of the tide? How do you get down there in low tide?

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

That is my boat. Pic was taken at a restaurant dock, several feet down by steps and a floating dock. Lake goes out to Lake Michigan, no tides here!

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • ruwallydogruwallydog Member Posts: 92 ✭✭
    BD, how do you secure the dinghy on the trick Davit when underway? I have the same setup but this will be my first year using it since purchasing two years ago.

Thanks!
  • partlowrpartlowr Member Posts: 119 ✭✭
    edited April 2016
    That is my boat. Pic was taken at a restaurant dock, several feet down by steps and a floating dock. Lake goes out to Lake Michigan, no tides here!

Actually the Great Lakes do have high and low tides, twice daily but usually only 5-10cm(2-3 inches) changes depending on the time of the year.

http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/gltides.html

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want to come up with something for my 270 but don't have the platform room that your larger boats have...not something I would take all the time, guess I can just hang it off the platform and bring the motor in......hmmm
    I won't argue about 2-3" of 'tide' but the lake rarely have waves smaller than that!

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @BD, I'm not a dinghy guy but I DO like the skier on the 'fridge front. A "few" years back I was on the ski patrol both in Canada and Austria. I saw some nice powder back in the day and looking back had a few calls closer that they should have been...ahhhh youth - sometimes it's better not to know how close we came!
    BD check your inbox about the Trick System.
    Sent you a note Craig. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
    BD I sent you another note the other day. Check your inbox when you can.