Options

Help, can't figure fuel gage issue

DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
I've posted this in the Cruiser Forum also....I've got a 2005 Fiesta Vee 342

Port fuel level gage was acting funny last year and towards the end of the season, it stopped working. I replaced the sending unit and it still does not work......here's what I've done to trouble shoot
Hooked up sending unit to Stbd side and it works, Swapped gages, Port gage works on Stbd side, Stbd gag does not work on Port side, I also swapped plugs on the back of the gage.

I'm befundled.....lol. What am I missing here??? Can anyone help me out?

No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342

Comments

• Options
    Robs_232Robs_232 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you don't have voltage at Port gauge or you have a broken wire from Port gauge to sending unit. The sending unit is a rheostat to ground. The easiest way to check this is to touch a new piece of wire to back of gauge (where the sender wire connects) and touch the other end to a ground somewhere at the helm. If the gauge needle moves, the wire from gauge to the sending unit is bad.
  • Options
    I've got the 4 gage cluster and it has 2 plugs on the back. One plug has about 6-8 wires and pins, the other has 6-8 pins but only 1 wire and I believe this is what feeds the fuel level gage.
    Are you saying to ground a wire and then touch the appropriate pin and see if the gage moves?
  • Options
    Robs_232Robs_232 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

I didn't think about you having the gauge cluster, 2 engines duh! Electrical issues s**k!

Do you have a good ground wire connector attached to one of the screws on the cover of the port sending unit. That is the only way for the sending unit to work correctly. Did the grounding wire break?

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ....yes, from the other thread post: if the sending unit is okay on meter then I'd start looking at the continuity of ground. It's amazing that ground contacts that are a slight bit "iffy" can really screw-up the gauges.
  • Options
    I've got two (green) ground wires, one attached to the cover of the sending unit, the other to the tank. I'll do some testing today with a new ground wire.
  • Options
    Got it figured out. Grounds are all good, Apparently I have a break in the feed wire. Ran a new wire and everything works fine.....good thing I had previously put in an extra snake wire, make running the wire much easier.

Thanx for all your help and comments