Removing all the old striping/lettering.....

BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
Sucks.....that is all.....lol  Guess it will look good with the new stuff though.
2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi

Comments

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been there, done that! It will look much better when it's finished. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    ....that's fun.  
    My old boat's stripes were so brittle I had to use a special eraser type wheel on and air grinder.  It's a pleasure if you can just use a heat gun. Btw, I see you have a 2005, mine is an 04 and I do need to replace the top black stripe with the 1/4 gold leaf running through it. Where did you buy your new striping?
  • BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2016

Yah I used the combo of the wheel and peeling depending on what I was taking off. Hardest part was the glue....THAT was a pain. Lighter fluid worked the best out of alcohol/wd-40/goo gone/adhesive remover.

I wanted newer style black/ 1/4 grey like on newer 270s......Rinker was no help, so I said screw it. Its gonna get black stripes in same width as stock and a dark gray/metallic 270. Just getting local place to make up and install

I also bought a set of the chrome rinker decals off ebay like on the newer ones. Ive never seen the black/gold listed anywhere.....good luck with rinker.

• raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,496 admin
    Someone told me that "easyoff" oven cleaner works real good. I have never tried it but worth a shot......
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
    Acetone works removing the glue. Rinker couldn't help you on the stripes? I need some Blue/gray boot stripe and I was told that it is cheaper to order thru the dealer. Unfortunately Great Lakes Skipper doesn't have what I need and there is no longer a dealer in Pittsburgh. The closest one is Port Clinton Ohio. Hmm... Maybe if I win the Powerball I can open a marina and Rinker dealer in Pittsburgh. Wishful thinking.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

The eraser wheel takes up the adhesive as well.  Where I could actually get it to peel I used acetone to take off the adhesive.  It worked well.  None the less the whole process was a major pain.  I still have to do the upper stripe above the rub rail.  Once that is off I'm not even going to replace it.  I like the clean look of solid color with no pin stripes, just like my cars.

• BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
    Acetone works removing the glue. Rinker couldn't help you on the stripes? I need some Blue/gray boot stripe and I was told that it is cheaper to order thru the dealer. Unfortunately Great Lakes Skipper doesn't have what I need and there is no longer a dealer in Pittsburgh. The closest one is Port Clinton Ohio. Hmm... Maybe if I win the Powerball I can open a marina and Rinker dealer in Pittsburgh. Wishful thinking.
    I never called them myself but went through my local dealer. ....said not available other than some other colors they sent pics of that in didn't want
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Dana Point, California, USAPosts: 0 ✭✭✭
    The 3M eraser wheel is over 30 bucks. This one I purchased is $13 or so and it is well reviewed and I found it to works well when I did a test on a small section of my stripe:

http://www.amazon.com/AES-Industries-51823-Eraser-Adapter/dp/B00488DDB8/ref=cm_cr_dp_asin_lnk

I bought a 50' roll of new blue and gold Rinker striping from Great Lakes Skipper.

www.greatlakesskipper.com

I'm waiting for cooler weather to finish the job :)
    Andy

• DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 848 ✭✭✭
    So I just did the R&R on the gold leaf boot strip on mine and I found that goof-off and a little elbow grease worked best. I bought the 3M eraser wheel and that made more of a mess than anything else.
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • partlowrpartlowr Member Posts: 119 ✭✭
    I have a friend with a heated pressure washer called a Hotsy. We removed my old 232 graphics and stripes in about 20 minutes. The only part that left some adhesive was the 3/8 inch stripe that Rinker installed where the blue and white two-tone gelcoat meets up. All the big stripes came right off.
  • 06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    Will carefully using a heat gun cause any harm to gelcoat?  Need to get lettering off.
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
    Don't get too close and you should be fine. A hair dryer also works well. That is what I used on my 232 to get the graphics off.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    You will be fine if your careful. But like @Cableguy Greg said use a hairdryer and you won't have to worry.
    2008 330EC
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    3M adhesive remover is the best to remove the glue. Acetone can be tough on the gelcoat and YOU. 

I removed my boot strip last winter, hair dryer and a single edge razor blade made it pretty easy work. I am not going to replace it, looks better without it I think. 

Planning on redoing the stripe around the bow this winter. Change it to black and add a grey 1/4" stripe to match the boat colors. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • jmichelsjmichels Member Posts: 311 ✭✭
    I did my entire boat strips and lettering this year. Came out like brand new. AS everyone mentioned the rubber 3 m wheel was best for removing the dryed out emblems. The stripes I used a heat gun and lot of patience then acetone to finish it up. Came out mint. 
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Dana Point, California, USAPosts: 0 ✭✭✭
    Last week I successfully removed the starboard blue & gold stripe. The eraser wheel got off most of the old vinyl, but it does create dust & debris so have a shop vac handy. I finished up around the railing and other spot where the wheel won't go with a straight edge razor. The glue residue came off great with this 3M glue removal spray:

https://www.amazon.com/3M-03618-Adhesive-Remover-oz/dp/B000BQYA7W/ref=pd_sim_469_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=414Ca96Xl2L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_&psc=1&refRID=3MFGW2DRTNNNE8KC7SQ3

Now I have a stripe of shiny gel coat that the whole boat had in 2006. I'm not sure I'll install the new stripe just yet, I kind of like the clean look without it. Tomorrow the port side stripe comes off and guys on the dock will stop asking why I have only one side striped.

Andy

edited August 2016
    Ill take your advice and go the hair dryer route.  Heat gun seems intense.  Anyone had luck with goo gone?  I have that and would rather use that than buy more stuff.
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
    I jacked up my boot stripe last fall with a pressure washer. I am going to remove it this fall and replace it with a red or maroon stripe. Unfortunately Rinker no longer has the OEM silver and blue stripe available. Hopefully the red will freshen up the look of the boat.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • captpaulcaptpaul Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    just did the waterline after haulout and bottom/hull clean. looked like new off the showroom floor. local sign shop had exact match as great lakes skipper did not. next will be the upper stripe to updated the above deck. also replaced the Fiesta Vee 300 gold lettering from GLS.  
    I tried goo gone, fail.  I tried gently using a razor blade and it made me uncomfortable to use and saw some small scratching.  I went with Goof Off and the adhesive came off with a little elbow grease.  Hair dryer worked awesome.

I also took advantage of having no graphics and compounded and polished the transom.  Always been a pain to work around the graphics without destroying them and it always bothered we that I could see a dull finish around the lettering.  Next weekend I will wax over the transom to protect everything.     
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,728 mod
    After I took off the PO vinyl lettering, I hit it hard with rubbing compound, and then compounded it some more.  Three years later, I can still see the outline of the old lettering.  Just saying, be ready to hit it with compound again if you can still see the outline.
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,496 admin
    @06Rinker270 If it were me I would not wax or polish the transom if your going to put another decal on there. It wont stick as good as it should with wax or polish, as a matter of fact you should clean the transom with acetone or alcohol before applying the new decal........ Just say'n...... 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
    Your probably right @raybo3.  I compounded and polished before the decals, but not waxed.  I will wax on top of decals to protect.  We will see how it holds.  Boat US sent me three graphics for some reason.  If they fail I will redo it.    

@LaRea yes I have a feeling I will be seeing those old letters for quite some time as they were on there for 10 years.  I did the compound more so for easy buffing than for removing the line of the old letters.  Although one round of compound did a great job.  I can never seem to get that shine right up to a graphic, button or RINKER silver decal with a buffer.  I try with my hand using compound and it just makes it foggy.  
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270