Options

Poli glow fiberglass products?

Poli glow fiberglass products? Anyone here ever use this stuff?  Some chatter at the yard this weekend about this stuff.

http://www.myboatstore.com/proddetail.asp?prod=10-PGK

Wanted some Rinker opinions before I got down with it.
Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always look at the comments on the website. See reviews 'bunched up' and I question who is doing them (fakes). That said, I've never heard of that stuff before.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,589 mod
    poli glow was talked about on RBO.  I can't seem to remember all the comments, but I think it was pretty good.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    clarkbarclarkbar Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    I just used it for the first time 3 weeks ago. As of right now i am satisfied, i will reserve judgment till I see how it fairs over the next couple of months. What I can tell you is that it went on very easy and made my hull look brand new. I applied 7 coats and the more you put on, the deeper the shine.
    Putting the product on was like varnishing it. Went on like an old floor wax we used in our kitchens back in the day. Its all in the prep. The more time preparing the hull before applying, the better the outcome.   
  • Options
    Here is a pic with 5 coats. I finished with 7.
  • Options
    BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod
    7 Coats that's a lot of Elbow Grease

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
  • Options
    No buffing or rubbing required, just apply it with the supplied applicator. Piece of cake! not a lot of work required. 
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,468 admin
    Boat looks great. 7 coats.....wow that is a lot of work.....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    brianluckbrianluck Member Posts: 174 ✭✭✭
    I have it on my hull, the prep for first application sucked. After first application I was pleased with the results. Second season still shinny as good as compounding and waxing? I'd say no buy it's easier
    1994 300fv "General Madness"
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Just a quick heads up before you jump on this magic fix to traditional compounding and waxing. There's plenty of feedback on the net from boaters who have done this. I guess if it's a short term boat ownership it won't matter too much. Some folks love it others cuss it. Most definitely easier but as Brian shared, probably not quite as rich of a finish if you look for that sort of thing. The idea of possibly needing to strip an acrylic additive off my gelcoat seems sketchy

(just one link of dozens)

Saw Brians post on the end of that thread. Certainly a personal decision but as for me I'll be needing Boomers jar of elbow grease to wax TikiHut. By the time I get done I'm glad it isn't any bigger than it is.

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    I'll just say I'm glad my hull is white.  I've seen the Merlow, Blue, Pewter, Baby Blue...& they are beautiful when clean.  I've also seen the hard work it takes to keep them there.

• Options
    Dream I agree with you about all the hard work but that Merlow is one beautiful color for sure.....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    raybo3 said:
    Dream I agree with you about all the hard work but that Merlow is one beautiful color for sure.....

Oh yes, for a while that is exactly what I wanted!  There is one at our marina that I loved.  Well, now I'm on the same dock & actually this past Sunday while drinking margaritas (cinco de mayo, gotta do that) we were staring at that boat right next to the one I was on.  It sure needed some attention!  Had that white dull haze on it.

• Options

I would guess when you buy a boat in  that color take a whole bunch of pictures of it when new because you may never get it to look that way again. But it sure is beautiful looking...

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Alright, here's the secret formula for anyone with a colorful life.....uh, hull that wants to keep it youthful looking and shiny. No you can't throw just anything at it, you must suffer through the specific process and that's why sailors love Rum. I used this process on our previously chalky navy blue hull and it looks like a show room finish....and now my shoulders look like Popeye too.  :ar!  Semi-annual visits by the detail team are the trick. Even down here in the tropics two coats of wax a year keep it like new w no new compounding needed. (See OliveOil and her micro fiber buffing technique below)

(Awesome detailed forum post (link below) w pics and reviewer insights)

Post edited by TikiHut2 on
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
  • Options

Mike that is awesome. You can send her to Boston anytime you want to do my boat.....lol

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll stay with wax.  I personally never trust the 'easy' stuff.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Thanks for the compliment on the finish Ray, in all honesty my waxing expert is the most expensive detailer I've ever hired and I can't even argue with her about the huge overcharges.  :-@ Yes dear....

I'm actually back in the wax can this weekend to get TikiHut trimmed up and ready for the memorial day wknd. Hey, now there's a nice mothers day gift for her....a new can of wax L-)   ....or bling, but I'm leaning toward wax. ;)
    Post edited by TikiHut2 on
  • Options
    Mike I see you like to live your life on the edge....lol