Options

Gas gauge

taylor1taylor1 Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
First post, but have been monitoring this very informative forum for 4 months, great people here!
Bought a 260EC in December, with 63 hours on the motor, 6 on the generator. I've already put 10 hours on her this season. All systems running flawlessly. Only issue is fuel gauge always pegged at full when underway, when under 5 mph or so, gives correct level. Do I need a new sender?
Thank you very much for your advice. 

Comments

• Options
    Mike_GMike_G Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭
    Hey Taylor...

This is normal.  Mine has done the same thing since new.  Had the sender looked at and it is fine.  Rinker placed the sender at the rear of the tank, so even when you're sitting still it is reading a bit higher than what is actually in there.  As soon as the bow starts to rise, the gauge will go up or peg full.

For me, I have found that I'm at just over 1/2 a tank before the gauge starts to drop while under way.  When my gauge reads 1/2 tank while sitting still, I have ~1/3 tank.  That's the way I look at it and I've been fine with fuel.  I have run it under a 1/8 tank (indicated while at rest), but I made my way to a marina and got fuel.  -=Mike G.

2014 Rinker 260EC

• Options
    taylor1taylor1 Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
    Thanks for your help. Was thinking of upgrading with lowrance sender and fuel flow sensor to talk through nmea 2000 with chartplotter, might be more accurate!
  • Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    Mike, I would agree with you if the sender is a tube type. Most fuel senders are the cantilever type and if it is mounted in the rear of the tank, the float part is towards the front so it would read towards empty when the bow rises.
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    I highly recommend getting a fuel flow meter. Floscan make good ones.
    Andy
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    help me out here,  why would you want a fuel flow meter? ????? 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a 260EC. I need to be at less than 50% before I start seeing level while underway. The sender is at the back of the tank and when you are moving that fuel moves to the back and submerges the sender. I installed smart craft gauges which are working well and more precise on fuel level.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    I installed a Flow Scan a few years back.  This gauge is what helps us cruise long distances in a "short distance" boat.  Never a question about fuel remaining or range. Ours is quite accurate.  Typical numbers, it says we burned 150 gallons, we put in 149 gallons.
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    ^ +1 on what Tony said

Andy
  • Options
    Mike_GMike_G Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭
    DanD2 said:
    Mike, I would agree with you if the sender is a tube type. Most fuel senders are the cantilever type and if it is mounted in the rear of the tank, the float part is towards the front so it would read towards empty when the bow rises.

Yeah... I'm not sure which type of sender Rinker used on the 260 EC...  could be a "tube" type based on your comment.  Even if it is a cantilever type.. that float would have to be probably 3 feet forward of the sender mount to be accurate.  -=Mike G.

2014 Rinker 260EC

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    On my 260 EC, it's the tube type, fits into the top nozzle and measures level based on a I believe conductivity level.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"