Options

6x6 piece of canvass

chamberbchamberb Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭

Showing my ignorance again... Was finally able to unwrap my new boat this weekend. :) In one of the compartments is about a 6' x 6' piece of canvas the same color/material as the bimini, but it has no snaps, just grommets on each corner.

Thoughts on what this could be? The PO has bungee cords attached to each corner.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe it was for shade when the boat was docked. They would attach it to the top then use the bungee cords to hold it tight at the bottom.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Thanks Greg, that's all I could think of too, just didn't know if its an "official" part of the camper canvas, etc.  Thank you!
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A friend of mine has a 2008 260EC and he doens't have anything like what you described with his camper top. I have seen other boats with a shade sail rigged with bungee cords. More than likely it was when the sun got low in the sky.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Thank you! I'll probably find a use for it as a sun or wind shade. 
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think if you unzip your canvas you can use that piece to wrap around the roled up canvas to keep it stowed while underway. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Is it possible that it was used to wrap the glass after it is rolled up???
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options

@MarkB and @raybo3 that could be it too... I'll be back at the boat on Saturday and will check it out, maybe it is to protect the canvas/glass and store it in a smaller bundle...

Thank you both!!

• Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

Yeah I have seen those sun shades before.  I have also seen larger mounted grills where they wrap in matching canvas.  My guess is the sun shade or a helm cover.  You would obviously see snaps if a helm cover...

The mice in my shed decided it was a good idea to eat a nice hole in my cockpit cover this winter.  I can't believe they could chew through that thing....  **** vermon....

• Options
    Sorry I did not see MarkB post.....lol
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    LOL Ray.... darn mice will destroy anything Craig... there are no snaps in it at all, just large grommets in the corners like you would see in a tarp, but it is nice canvas...
  • Options
    Actually I'm talking about something else. You can unzip the canvas from the radar arch and back connector and wrap it around the bimini frame. That piece might go around the canvas wrapped around the frame to keep it rolled tight while underway.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Thanks Mark, I will look at that too!
  • Options
    I was talking about when you take it down and roll it up that maybe the canvas was to protect it after rolled up and stowed....
  • Options
    That's what I thought Ray, I also have the zippered piece that goes around the bimini when its folded back...
  • Options
    Well, let us know what you figure out. I have the same piece stowed away, never used it. Have always wondered what it is for.  LOL, just never bothered to figure it out.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Will do..... I just need some warm weather!!!