Options

1993 300 fiesta vee boat batteries

F1100F1100 Member Posts: 292 ✭✭✭
So I ordered new batteries this year from the marina.. 2x starting batteries and 1x deep cycle. (which is what the old batteries were) the 2x starting batteries are on the 1-2-off engine switch, and the 1x deep cycle is on the 1-off guest switch.

Went to my boat today, and the marina installed 2x deepcycle batteries on the 1-2-off engine switch and 1x starting battery on the 1-off guest switch.

So I went to them and said why they installed the wrong batteries, and they said to me, that thats the way the boat is supposed to be and my boat wiring is wrong?

I am like WTF? how can the wiring be wrong since 1993? the 1-2-off engine switch seems to run  2 engine starter batteries, and the 1-off guest switch seems to run a deep cycle, they are telling me this is wrong?

what configration is the boat supposed to have? and are my switches and wiring wrong? or is the marina silly, and just telling me this to leave the wrong batteries they installed in place.

Thanks

1993 300 FIESTA VEE TWIN 5.7L ALPHA GEN 2

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod

Well, I have not owned that model boat, but I don't know of any dual engine boat that doesn't have 2 starter batteries.  I know my previous 310 had 2 starter and 1 house (deep cycle).  Now, I opted to add 2 new deep cycle, but it sounds like yours should be the same way.  You need to follow the wires and you'll see you have one to each engine which is one for each starter.

The more I think about it, there is no way two engines should ever be on one starter battery.  Hard to believe they would do that!  The screwed up and didn't want to admit it.  I'd ask them to show you a twin engine boat that doesn't have 2 starter batteries!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two gasoline engines should never be on the same starting battery for too many reasons to list here - but overcharging, alternator diode damage and fire from overheated cables come to mind quickly. One starting battery per engine ... and on a FV 300 I'd have two house - minimum - as well.
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Guys, I don't think he's saying only 1 battery is running engine 1 and 2. He's saying they put the deep cycles (2 of them) on engine 1 and 2, and the crank battery on the house circuit.

So the problem is he has deep cycles (2 of them) running the engines and a crank running the house.

That is not right.  Crank is for high amps to turn over the engines. Deep cycle allows for more drainage which you want on the house circuit.

They basically ordered the wrong batteries. Get them to move the crank to engine 1, buy a new crank for engine 2 and put one of the deep cycles on the house circuit. In fact I agree with MT and ask them to put both deep cycles on the house circuit. They probably would agree to do that as they wouldn't need to cover the cost of a deep cycle battery then.

Also tell them to charge you NO labor to fix this as they screwed up.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...whatever happened the marina doesn't know how to wire - or check, then wire a battery isolator for twin I/Os.
  • Options
    F1100F1100 Member Posts: 292 ✭✭✭
    I am making them put in the batteries that I ordered.

It seems nothing is easy.
    1993 300 FIESTA VEE TWIN 5.7L ALPHA GEN 2
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1 2 off switch is likely a 1 unbridged, 2 bridged and off.  Which means 1 keeps battery 1 on engine 1 and battery 2 on engine 2.

That's how mine is wired. I have a single engine but my house and crank batteries go through the same 1, 2, off switch. 1 is separate and 2 is combined.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"