Options

276 Engine Power

franchrmfranchrm Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
Hello all - I have a 2008 246 BR with a 5.7 Bravo 3.  I am considering upgrading to a 276 BR.  I found an 08 with low hour with the 5.7 Bravo 3.  I know more power is better; at the same time, can anyone comment on the performance of a 276 BR with the 5.7 Bravo 3?  The boat does have trim tabs.  I am not concerned as much with a top end; rather, how does it do getting up on plain loaded up.  Thanks all.

Comments

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

For comparison I had a 2011 226 XL with a 350 Magnum and it was just acceptable - there is NO way I'd buy a 276 with a 5.7 unless it was in brand new condition, with a new-like trailer for a ridiculously low price as it IMO sure wouldn't have much in the performance department.

There is one main reason that boat builders put too small engines in boats - to offer a low entry price. IMO the 276 is a great looking boat. IMO putting a 5.7 into it is a joke.

For reference I had a 390 HP 383 in a 190 Rinker and it handled it great. My respectful advice - unless you like putting around with few people and little gear in the boat - keep looking.

Full disclosure I LIKE HP. I'll be using a walker soon enough, for now when I want to go - I want to GO!!!!!

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MT is just kidding. He really wants a turbo diesel :)
  • Options
    Steve, turbo AND supercharged .....would get me into diesels!
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't supercharge a diesel MT but twin turbo's. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't touch a 276 with less than a 6.2MPI. It is a heavy boat and needs the horsepower to get it moving.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭
    Got the 496 B3 in our 276 BR. Have to say, it's perfect. Tow sports are no issue. Cruises effortlessly.
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    @Alswagg - very true and not a concept grasped by everyone. I got FAR better economy with the 502 Mags in my former 360 than a slip mate got with 377 Mags in his 350....and I mean FAR better fuel economy.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Love my big blocks!  & the sound from them, oh yeah!  Sunday was our first day out on plane & just love that deep sound!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Mike_GMike_G Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭

Is it a 5.7, or a 350MAG?  5.7 is only 250HP.  350 MAG (also a 5.7L) is 300HP.

A friend of mine has a 350MAG in his 2012 276 cuddy and I have a 350 MAG in my 260 EC. In my boat, I feel like the 350 MAG is sufficient (I have no A/C, generator, or radar arch so less weight), however I agree more power is always welcome.  His boat runs just fine, planes up maybe slightly quicker than my boat, but doesn't feel very "sporty" with that motor.  If he's got a few more people than me, my boat is faster on the top end.

I would say.. go BB (496 or 502).  The Volvo V8-380 (6.0L, LS based motor) might be nice in that boat.  If you don't have a choice, or the boat is a good deal in nice condition, a 350 MAG would be "ok" as a minimum.  A regular 5.7, no way. -=Mike G.

2014 Rinker 260EC

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    350MAG should be fine on a 246. Anything more would be great!

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    .....anything more would be necessary! IMO.
  • Options
    It is a 350 Mag.  Remember - It is a used boat.  I don't have the option to upgrade :(
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    @MarkB He's looking at a 276 Bow Rider.

@franchrm Don't be :(  My suggestion.... take a few people with you to test drive the boat on the water.  See how it feels to you with weight in it.  Notice if it's full of fuel and water or empty as that can affect performance.  Maybe talk the seller down a little based on power.  How many hours and what options?  Does it have the arch?  Good condition?

You can always upgrade the motor down the road.   But again.. my buddy with the 2012 276 Cuddy and 350 MAG is fine with his boat. I've seen him with 6 adults on board and he planes up fine (albeit with lots of throttle). He just cruises and pretty much never WOTs it.  He does not pull skiers or anything.  An occasional tube but that's it.  Works great for him.  If you're looking at a open bow, and people are sitting up there, it might plane a bit better even.  -=Mike G.

2014 Rinker 260EC

• Options
    edited April 2016
    BTW.. here are two reviews with performance info for 276s.  Both from the same source.  A 276 cuddy with the 350MAG and a 276 BR with the 496MAG (non H/O);

The 350MAG-300HP
    http://www.boatingmag.com/boats/rinker-276-cc

The 496-380HP
    http://www.boatingmag.com/boats/rinker-captiva-276-br-rls

-=Mike G.
    Post edited by raybo3 on

2014 Rinker 260EC

• Options
    ChillLaxinChillLaxin Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    Take the boat for a sea trial with one more person then you think you will average on your trips. Test the boats ability to plane and top end fully loaded this way you know you will be happy with the boat for years to come (or not). I sea trailed my 270 FV with my wife and one of my boys and the mechanic and she performed like a rock star. Put my other son onboard and one more adult (in place of my mechanic) and she's a dog! Crazy what a little extra weight will do with an underpowered boat.
  • Options
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Chill, If its running correctly, when you take off be sure tuck outdrive all the way in, tabs down, it takes abit you get there, (on plane) its not a run about, so it takes 15 seconds to get on top of the water instead of 7, your boat weighs 7500 lbs. I'm assuming you have a 300 hp mpi, welcome to the fourm, 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Have to say, we've got the arch, windlass, house battery, 2 full coolers, etc. It's a big heavy boat. 29' x 9' beam. If you're gonna haul peeps & tow sports - it needs big iron. 

My 2 cents
  • Options
    ....Ah yes, big iron - even sounds good!
  • Options
    Mike_G - Thanks for the info.  We plan on looking at the boat this weekend.  2008 170 hours.  It does have the arch.  We are not big water sports folks.  We mostly like to "putt" around at low RPM around the lake. 
  • Options
    Glad it has the sport arch. It is really nice to be able to have some permanent shade avail when needed.
  • Options
    Were all the 276s with the 5.7 the 350mag 300hp?  Was there a lower horserpower 5.7 in that boat?
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All of the 276's were standard power with 350mag. The lower HP 5.7 is the carb version which is 250HP.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    I've got a 2013 276 with the 350 Mag and Bravo 3. I have NEVER had any issues getting on plane, and never have really wanted for more power. It cruises at 28-30mph at 3600-4000 rpm, depending on water and load.

I've pulled three adults on tubes, wake-boarded, and again no issues. I've got it on plane quickly with a full tank of fuel, water, coolers, and 7 adults on board in 4 feet of water. The trim tabs make a HUGE difference in how much stern lift it has from a stop, and the longer hull length I think helps it stay on plane at a lower speed, than say a 246.

I get 3-3.5mpg overall, with mostly cruising from spot to spot. The big block is good for 5-6mph on the top end, and maybe 5mph more cruising. It was a $10k upgrade, and mine will hit 45mph in anything but awful conditions.

Take it for a ride and see how it performs for you. Its no speed boat, but it wont be with the big block either. Maybe if you get the H.O. with 430hp it'd be significantly faster, but thats a big $$$ to swallow. 
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3