Fuel Cooler Module - Filter Replacement

jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
So I have been reading about the dreaded paint delamination on the inside of the GEN III modules. I bought a new filter and O-Ring to replace. My question is....where is the module located at on the 6.2 350 MPI? I want to say it on the starboard side toward the bottom of the block but I am not positive. I want to get a look inside and see what is going on inside to see if there is anything I need to worry about (fingers crossed). Any help would be appreciated!
Boat Name: Knot A Worry
2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3

Comments

• jbschmalz23jbschmalz23 Member Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
    I replaced mine in the fall when I put it away. It's pretty simple. It has a little handle on top.  Pulls out and twist the old one off. I think you have to push and twist if I remember right. Also the guys at merc gave me the part number to replace the cover that has the paint problem. I was thinking about biting the bullet and getting it to be safe. I think it was around $100. 
    Did you figure out the digital sender PN yet? Just got my fuel to show on the VV last night. One of the guys on my other forum told me to try the blue wire on the harness instead of the red one they say to use. Worked right away. Grateful for everyone's knowledge on here!
  • jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    @jbschmalz23 where is the physical module placement on the block?
    I ordered a new sender yesterday. Once that comes in and I have it installed I will let you know!
    It's on the lower left side near the belt pulley. Here's a pic of the module. 
    Do you have to unbolt the assembly to get to the handle or is it easily accessible @jbschmalz23

@jbschmalz23 i order my sender yesterday along with the fuel paddle harness. I will get it installed this weekend. If I get confirmation that it works, I'll let you know
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @jme097 like what was stated above, if you are looking at the front of the engine, it is on the left side in the lower corner. It will be right next to the sea water pump, which is a poor design because it makes changing the impeller a PITA. I changed my filter last year and it was a simple change.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
    @Cableguy Greg how did your module look on the inside? Did you have any problems?
    It looked good. I will have to look at it again this year to see if I have any pealing paint.
    Go Steelers!!!
    OK guys. Just came in from pulling my module and I think it looks good. The fuel pumps both look clean. I have attached pictures below and I think the paint line is just how it was painted from the factory. What do you guys think? @Cableguy Greg

That looks good to me.
    Go Steelers!!!
    That's exactly what I thought! Didn't know there was a lower filter as well. Ordering that tonight to finish it off. 
    What is the part number on the lower filter? I didn't know there was a lower one either? Or is it the plastic strainer? How hard was the module to take apart to look at? I just went as far as to replace the filter last season. Thinking I need to take a look inside mine as well. Plus that's where the pump is that I may possibly have to change if that's what's causing my starting issues. Don't know what I would do without this forum! 
    The module wasn't hard. Took me about an hour and a half to get it unmounted. There are 4 10mm bolts that hold it on to 2 brackets. You undo the hose clamp on the front of the module and pull that hose off. Then there are 2 hoses on the back of it that is held on by a single nut. Take the hoses off and it will pop right out once you take off the little hose on the top. Then there are 6 bolts/screws on top that one the low and high pressure fuel pumps in. Undo those and they pop right out. The hardest part is getting the 4 bolts off that hold the module onto the bracket. Once you take the hoses off it makes it way easier. I am looking for the part number for the plastic piece right now. I found it yesterday and it was like $30; its ridiculous
    OK I found it. Cheapest price was at the link below. $27 lol. Obnoxious pricing 

The big filter is actual the water separator filter and the bottom plastic piece is the fuel filter. I took it out last night and blew it out with my air compressor. Theres literally nothing to it. 

Part number is 35-892665

http://www.boatstoreusa.com/fuel-tanks-filters/fuel-filters-accessories/quicksilver-35-892665-fuel-filter-bravo-zz/