What color is my boat?

NavyCTRCNavyCTRC Member Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
As you all know, there comes a time in a boats' life when the dings and scratches over the previous 10 years or so need to be fixed up.  My boat is 11 years old and it doesn't look bad, but after buffing and waxing a couple weeks ago I noticed more dings and scratches than I even knew were there, where do they come from?  I know spectrum color likely has a match for my boat but I don't know what Rinker called the color?  If I can figure out how to upload a picture, there will be an example.  It is the tan or light brown color, spectrum has one called Expresso Brown for Rinker, but I expresso should be dark brown. The picture below is an example of the color on the boat I wish I owned.

Comments

• raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    I am almost sure Rinker calls that Pewter.... 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • gvigrassgvigrass Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Pewter is what I've heard as well.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• NavyCTRCNavyCTRC Member Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
    Dream, grass,

Thanks a bunch for the informative answer!  Can anyone tell me how to fine tune what I get to match the 11 year old gel coat on my boat?
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any good gelcoat person could fix that boat right up and you would never know.
    Shawn - That is how I complete most projects, which is why I end up paying someone to fix it right!!
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    X4 on Pewter.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • DirtythirtyDirtythirty Member Posts: 393 ✭✭✭

What are you looking to accomplish ?   As you know, you can buff and wax till your arms falls off and with your boat being 11 years old, you will eventually have to come to terms with the fact that your battle has become "uphill".   Deep scratches and dings will not buff out without causing the area around it to show signs of rub-through.  Have you considered painting the "brown" area ??   I was warned by many that painting that area would be a disaster because scratches would have to be touched up, not rubbed out. However...I can tell you that one year after my boat was painted, it is as spectacular as the day it came out of the paint shop. Not a scratch, rub mark or ding. No buffing, just a hand wax and it looks GREAT. I kept the burgundy theme the boat was built with, however I chose a high metallic, base coat/clear coat to match the Sunbrella canvas that I put on.  Just a thought....Hope it gives you something else to consider.

After a good buff and wax the gelcoat itself is in decent shape.  It just has probably 4 scratches that need filled in, one large ding and a few smaller ones.  I like the burgundy!