Options

Kohler 5ECD generator, exhaust smell gasoline and slight sheen on the water when running generator

yuriddsyuridds Member Posts: 6
edited April 2016 in Generator Discussions
" A couple questions.  First, if you get close to the exhaust, can you smell gasoline?  Not exhaust, but gasoline like when you are filling up your car.  Second, is it running louder than normal?  If you have these symptoms I may be able to help"

I have exactly this problem. What should be done?

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always start with new plugs. These things eat them. It will run on one cylinder until you load it, then it will stall. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...no smell of gas , no sheen on water ....baaaaaad!
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Always start with new plugs. These things eat them. It will run on one cylinder until you load it, then it will stall. 
    I think both cylinders are working. It's probably something else.
    Post edited by yuridds on
  • Options
    I have tried to replace O2 sensor with alternative(Bosch). But same problem.
    Is it important to have OEM Kohler O2 sensor?
  • Options
    Could be a stuck injector. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Just find out, one cylinder is not firing. Tried to replace spark plugs,  same result. 
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fuel + oxygen + spark = ignition.

Starting with spark - you replaced spark plug, but is it getting a zap of electricity?

Fuel - injectors blocked?

oxygen - valves okay/lifting?

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    Ok, my bets are on the coil.  You can swap the coils and see if that cylinder fires.  Easy to replace if that is the problem  I had the same issue last year.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    edited May 2016
    I have replaced oxygen sensor, no changes. Bad cylinder spark plug is wet from unburned fuel( when I pulled it to check), so there is a fuel coming in. I will definitely try to swap coils tomorrow. Please, let me know how to check correctly if there is actual spark from the plug.
    Post edited by yuridds on
  • Options
    An inductive pick up timing light works. Or just put in a spark plug and ground it to the block and crank it. You can see if it sparks. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Dream_Inn said:
    Ok, my bets are on the coil.  You can swap the coils and see if that cylinder fires.  Easy to replace if that is the problem  I had the same issue last year.
    Thank you Dream Inn. Problem solved! It was broken coil. You can't believe how much time I have spend trying to figure it out.
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    will sure keep this in mind! Great catch Dream!
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod

Thanks Ras!

Believe me, it was a lesson learned on my end as well.  I actually carry a spare coil because I've heard when one goes, the other has a good possibility of going as well. Glad it worked out for you!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express